Tool of choice for cutting foam

ERen89

So I've been watching a lot of Evil Ted and Punished Props, also got the book Foamsmith. As far as cutting I'm trying to determine the best method. I've tried with a box cutter and got the sharpener those guys all use. And then I also got the wood burning kit that includes a heat knife bit. I was wondering what you guys prefer for absolute best and clean results no matter the pattern type you cut out?

Scalpel
Blades are cheap and give super refined cuts. Good control and give good cuts for many passes. Easy to replace and you don't get blades pinging off everywhere when you try to renew the cutting edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ 1 for scalpel blades. You get great control (personally I prefer no. 11 scalpel blades). They do blunt relatively quickly so you need to be disciplined to keep changing them. Knowing when they're too blunt is something you'll get a feel for as you go.

Maybe I'll jump on the scalpel usage. I imagine to reduce blade changes, scalpels may sharpen nicely with a sharpener just like any other blade

You buy a box of 100 blades and they will last fir a whole Mastercheif build.
You don't sharpen scalpel blades. You just change and bin.

For long cuts, I use a box cutter generally because I can stick it out further for thicker foam then a scalpel (I assume that's another term for an x-acto knife) for fine details.

You buy a box of 100 blades and they will last fir a whole Mastercheif build.
You don't sharpen scalpel blades. You just change and bin.

No need to throw away something that is still usable.
I sharpen my scalpels up and they work fine,Been using the same blade for 2 -3 years now.
I also sharpen up my snap-off blade... Never need to snap-off a blade ever again.

I am going out on a limb, here, but I will add this little tid bit to the party:

71nVBCrnP8L__SL1200_.jpg

This is a cutter for Foam Core Board and it has a 90 deg cut, and a bevel cut and a handle for control. I, personally, have never used it on EVA, but I would love to hear from someone who tries this.

if it's the foam mat type foam, i like to use my scroll saw.

for thinner foam (like foamies) I'd use the x-acto knife

Scroll saw is an interesting mention - I just realized I think they make very small tabletop scroll saws/jigsaws for crafting (for balsa maybe?) that might be perfect for this- as long as you're not cutting deep into the middle of a big piece, i suppose.

Scroll saw is really good fir cutting but not good for really sharp lines on straight edge pieces.
We use it for cutting letters and raised designs.

yes, obviously you wouldn't use it for cutting long straight lines. The scroll saw is for cutting curves. Very rarely do i need to cut long straight lines in my foam work...it's always curves.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back