Everyone else hated it so...

joeranger

Sr Member
Wife and kids were gone this weekend so I decided to have a "bad movie" weekend. I watched Suicide Squad, Ghostbusters and Gods of Egypt.

I didn't like them. They were all bad movies but my expectations were so low that there was some entertainment value in that I could now discuss how bad they were.
There is another thread on "You liked it but everyone else hates it". This is different. I am glad I saw them. Like slowing down to gawk at a car crash...you waited in bumper to bumper traffic for 20 min, you earned it;)

Suicide Squad - just doesn't make any sense. Seems contrived just to pack in a bunch of new bad guys...
Gods of Egypt - CGI and an all star cast doesn't make up for a used up rehashed story.
Ghostbusters - Not a bad attempt, but all the characters were just unlikable. Maybe I'm too chauvinistic or the movie wasn't meant to have a broad reach.

Again, I didn't like them, but since I was expecting a trainwreck, I only got a mechanical breakdown:) I'll go see The Great Wall and probably not hate it.

Gods of Egypt was a timekiller for me. Well done clearly, but mediocre idea with very little suspense.

Ghostbusters wasnt nearly as bad as I'd heard. In fact, it was witty and kept me interested, Chris Hemsworth was hilarious. But ... why with such talent did they basically just refilm the original story? There were some "Oh see, you thought we would do that thing from the original, and we veered off, haha" moments. But with those ladies and a good budget, they couldve done somethign new -- but didn't. And who the hell thinks they're making a sequel ("Who's Zuul?").

I refuse to see Suicide Squad. Even for free. Margot Robbie isn't so hot that I'll sit through all that for her. (Ditto the little model turned actress chick. I don't see the appeal.) ... It's a testament to Heath Ledger's genius that filmmakers now have to go so outlandishly overboard to "top" his portrayal of The Joker.

\\ Sent from my mobile device //

I liked Gods of Egypt. It is what it is. It's the old standby fantasy movie. No there's nothing new or original or surprising. It's just kind of fun. Like the fantasy movies of the 80s and 90s. You knew the whole story from the vhs box, but it still always made for an enjoyable watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Here is my thought, I did not watch the oscars because I didn't see any of the movies other than Arrival. But I am not a fan of the oscars so no big deal. (I will see Hidden Figures).
I love superhero movies and I am worried about their direction. One of the funniest lines in Deadpool was "it's like the studio could only afford you two..." Making fun of the fact that all new superhero movies have to have multiple heroes.
I read a lot of reviews on SS and GB. It was worthwhile to see for myself. As a Chicago Bears fan, we know that the owners will never spend money on the team as long as people still fill the seats.
So I am torn between voting with my pocketbook on bad movies and seeing how bad they really are. Side note. I am not a comic book guy; Is Deadshot just a Deadpool who doesn't forget his bullets? :)

I liked Gods of Egypt, too, for the same reasons as AJ. It felt very nostalgic.
Don't get me wrong, it's a dumb movie - but somehow it felt like a visit from a childhood friend.

That line in Deadpool wasn't poking fun at Multiple heroes in movies. It was the fact that the studio go cold feet part way through filming and slashed their budget so they could literally only afford 2 X-men.

Gods of Egypt to me harkened back to movies like Immortals and Clash of the Titans. I liked it, I liked the Gold blood, and Geoffrey Rush is always a treat.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back