ultra cal 30 patching bubbles

Brickxar

Hi,
i made a mask mold out of ultra cal 30 that i plan to cast in latex. the issue is that i have some air bubbles and chips in the mold that i need to fill. can i use a clay like monster clay to fill it or do i need to make some more ultra cal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Molds are the really one of the most important parts of any project. They are epitome of garbage in, garbage out. A good sculptor knows how the mold will work before they get far in the sculpt, should have a solid idea before it starts.

That said, I know you're only beginning and there are two ways to proceed IMO.

One, patch whatever you can as long as you're not destroying detail. Wet the area you want to patch, go a bit watery on the new mix if you need to to get it in the holes, etc. and if you can use some Acryl 60, PVA or even Elmers white glue in the mix and area to patch.

Two, as long as what you mean by chips aren't holes that will leak, why not slush some latex in and see what you're dealing with?

A small bubble will just show up as a pimple on the mask, if you're using a thick latex, it won't matter to the structure and you can just trim it off.

I get that this is your first attempt, but keep in mind you are using the two most forgiving materials there is, have some fun. Slush it, even in a small section and see the fruits of your effort.

thanks, the bubbles are on the back of the head and under the chin, so i won't have to worry to much about destroying detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back