Blade Runner Blaster 3D Print

Dunketh

After seeing propmaniacs amazing looking blade runner blaster 3d print, I figured that I should start a thread for my build. After finding the files on my mini factory created by Andrew Forster(which are amazing by the way) I started thinking about how to make the blaster look and feel as real as possible. Obviously my little wanhao i3 couldnt print in steel I started looking for the next best alternative, at this point I stumbled on proto pastas stainless steel infused pla which seemed ideal. I figured printing the main body in this and then cold casting the reciever, adding a steel barrel and then casting the grips in an amber resin I could get somewhere near where I wanted it to be.

As I havnt been documenting the build very well ill start by posting some images of where im up to and try to document the home stretch as well as I can. The grips have been molded and have a cast currently setting and the receiver is sitting waiting for the second half of the silicone to set. IMG_20170216_223449.jpgIMG_20170216_223523.jpgIMG_20170223_231736.jpgIMG_20170224_183424.jpg

Thank you for the compliment on my build so far but yours looks awesome. Love that you are cold casting this...Did you have to glue the right side cylinder cover together or 3d model it as one peice? Also did you add the checkering to the grips? Are you molding amber grips as well?

No problems, your build gave me the incentive to get a post up on here. Plus some pointers as yours is further along than mine in regards to what to do about the magazine. Initially I was going to go and print it and paint it, but I couldnt help the idea of having the weight of real metal.

The right side cylinder is glued together, but im aware its not particularly accurate and may have to remodel it as one piece and add the weaver knob/flat screw. I managed to figure out how to do the checkering in zbrush, but the diamond pattern is still a bit big. However I didnt realise until I have already finished the mold, hopefully tomorrow the amber set im casting should be ready for demoulding. Ive gone for a dark amber but may have gone to far, we shall see when they are pulled.

If the receiver casts turn out well I can always run you one up? Seems a shame to only use it once or twice.

That would be great thank you. Are you using the grips that were printed for this? I got a set of grips from Richard Coyle since I'm not able to mold my own. Once I'm ready to assemble mine I may have to alter the grip frame a little so they will fit.

Yeah I managed to checker the grips in zbrush, the checkering is a bit big but I quite liked it so went ahead and printed them up. If was doing this again I would have modelled in the embossing on the receiver and changed a few things for greater accuracy. How far off are the coyle grips in terms of size?

Not too far off. You'll have to mod the grip frame and the right side cylinder cover. The screw holes just about line up.

So pulled my first set of grips and they are way to dark, I wanted them to be a dark amber but they are nearly opaque. Ill do another cast at a later date, but im happy with the molds there are only a few imperfections.IMG_20170227_215959.jpgIMG_20170227_220010.jpg

Over the past few days ive had a few successes and failures, managed to get a good pull of the cold cast receiver and reprinted the right side cover with the screw in place after a quick remodel. After casting a new set of grips and then dropping and smashing one and then casting a set that are very light, ill probably have to try once more to get the colour right. Here are a few pics of the receiver and remodeled right hand side cover.IMG_20170302_162126.jpgIMG_20170302_162111.jpgIMG_20170301_143156.jpg

Just a quick update after the second undercoat on the front magazine housing with the receiver in place. Still need to make the mold for the rear of the bolt and will be reprinting the bolt and lever tomorrow with the modifications. IMG_20170305_203510.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170305_203510.jpg
    IMG_20170305_203510.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Just another brief update before I start painting up the section at the front, re printed the bolt and got the final coat of paint on the new right hand side. The new grips are far to light so will probably do another cast at some point, next up is the magazine and sight rod print, paint and wiring. Nearing the home stretch but I expect this to be the slowest part, plus I still need to make the mold for the rear of the bolt.IMG_20170306_230648.jpgIMG_20170306_230612.jpgIMG_20170306_230528.jpg

A small update, the front has been painted and attached but may remove it and give it a rub down and repaint as the finished isnt perfect. Gave the main body and receiver a bit of weathering with some oil paints, will go over again when the whole things together.IMG_20170309_224005.jpgIMG_20170309_223949.jpgIMG_20170309_223939.jpgIMG_20170309_223904.jpg

So I wasnt happy with the receiver and the lack of markings so decided to start from scratch. But instead of going for the standard steyr wording I figured I would delve a bit into the lore of the blade runner/alien universe. I know there is no real canonical link between the two barring a few bits and bobs I liked the idea of weapons created by weyland utani being used to hunt down tyrell replicants. So here is the Weyland Utani 2019 Blaster IMG_20170316_234449.jpgIMG_20170316_234514.jpgIMG_20170316_234514.jpg

I still have the wiring and a reprint of the front to do, as well as general proper fitting of things but its definitely on the home stretch.

- - - Updated - - -

I put the same image up twice, so heres the one I missed.IMG_20170316_234505.jpg

Dude! I love all things alien related and that looks great! Did you paint your receiver or is that the steel color of your resin?

For that receiver it was cast in a clear epoxy resin with 25% Aluminium powder and 25% Iron powder, once demoulded rubbed down with fine grade wire wool to expose the metal powder. It was then rubbed over with a combination of burnt umber and black artists oil paints to give it a light gun blue effect.

This project has spiralled a bit from "im going to print a blade runner blaster" to a bit of an obsession and cycle of redesigned parts and mold making. But i think im near the end of it.

One question though, what size switch did you get for the magazine? They all seem a bit big and the space for it is quite limited.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back