RIP Bill Paxton

Terrible news. A stroke during or after heart surgery is just a cascade of bad events that even some of the best surgeons cannot fix. Too many clots or ruptures and you cannot track and find them all. Sad day for the family.

I'm very sad to see him gone. I know I hadn't seen him in a lot lately, but he was always one of my favorite childhood actors. Loved him in movies like Twister. Plus, Hudson was always my favorite Colonial Marine.

He's the one actor my mom always could remember what he'd been in. He survived working with Jim Cameron, diving on the titanic in a documentary only to go out like this. RIP

"Complications from surgery." Yikes. Hope that doc's malpractice insurance is paid up...

Shame, though. The guy was undeniably talented.

What a shock... an unexpected loss to a great guy. RIP. My brother saw him in the studio commissary several years ago when he was out in L.A. doing final sound editing on an animated film.

...as a physician, I had to jump in for just a minute here. I know it's just a quick quip, but the statement implies that the surgeon was in error, and this lead to Bill's death. Without more information, we don't know what happened.

A bad medical outcome (injury, suffering, or death) is not necessarily evidence of malpractice, or that anything was done wrong or incorrectly. Sometimes it is, sometimes not. And often, our gut reaction is that, since there was an unexpected outcome, it must be someone's fault and you had better have your malpractice insurance up to snuff.

Was the elective heart surgery, or an emergency case? Was it the coronary arteries, or a valve replacement? Was it a PTCA (heart catheterization) or thoracic aortic dissection? (John Ritter died from that one). Was Paxton on a heart pump with a crossed-clamped aorta during surgery, or not? Was this intraoperative event, or post-op in the CCU? Did he have pre-existing atrial fibrillation (which increases the risk of stroke) ? There are known risks and potential complications to surgical procedures; I review them with patients virtually every day.

If a person is involved in a severe car crash and is unstable, despite all the best efforts of the E.R. and surgical teams, that person may die. Should we say, "Yikes! Hope they've got good malpractice coverage" or do we look at the whole picture and say, "Despite all appropriate and timely treatment, the person could not be saved." Guys and gals, I've personally been there.

Again, without more information (and we may never get all of the details), we don't know. I would be interested to hear what happened, as much as the family is willing to publicly state (HIPPA laws prevent the doctors and hospital staff from discussing the issue, It's like a super litigated NDA).

And just because a (hypothetical) malpractice law suit is filed, that still does not necessarily mean that there was any malpractice at play. I'm sure we will hear more in the weeks to come.

...and I bet they are going to squeeze him in to the Oscars tribute tonight... at least, I hope that they do.

Very sad to hear this, He was excellent in everything. Especially his crowning glory...... Weird Science.

R.I.P. Bill...... R.I.P. game over man..... game over.

Really, really gutted to just hear about this on the radio!!!
When I saw him back as Sergent Farell in "Edge of Tomorrow" I was delighted because he almost stole the movie again, just like he did in "Aliens". Bunch of us went to see that in Gloucester and all we did afterwards was quote Hudsons lines for months ,especially if we went paintballing.
Great guy, damn but I'm sorry to hear you've gone , RIP Bill

I was soooo wishing he would be announced as a guest for the next London Film&Comic-con... I saw him a couple of years ago and he was every bit as funny and charming in person as he was in his movies :cry

I think any major surgery has the risk of blood clots that could wander up and lead to stroke. I remember after I had my belly cut open, I had to get a shot or two of anticoagulants every day for a week specifically to reduce the risk of getting a stroke.

Anyway... What the flying f...

BTW, The Oscars' web site sucks.

R.I.P.

time for me to watch "indian summer" again. not that it is the best movie but also for the memories i have to go with that movie.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back