Malcolm Reynolds' Pistol- WIP 3D print

HVF

Hello, all!

Spent a few hours over the last week getting this model put together of the "Moses Brothers Self-Defense Engine" for 3D printing. Omission of the trigger and grips was intentional; I do my props without triggers to save complexity, and I'll be fabricating the grips by hand from oak.
It's certainly not a niche piece, but I just got to watching Firefly and enjoyed it enough I figured I'd do some props work!
Hopefully it can go to print pretty soon- I've got access to a printer at my college, (and filament's free, which is a nice bonus!) but I'm taking one last look over it for screen accuracy.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Assembly_2017-Feb-25_07-43-07PM-000_CustomizedView11630815492.jpg
Assembly_2017-Feb-25_07-43-35PM-000_CustomizedView16137632128.jpg
Assembly_2017-Feb-25_07-51-48PM-000_CustomizedView21382337679.jpg
(Done in Autodesk Fusion 360)

Last edited:
Looks awesome mate. I recently printed a version out myself that I found on either thingiverse or My Mini Factory and it was way to small. I will be interested to see how this one prints.

Very nice model!

The only change I would recommend making is pictured below;

Image1.jpg

Simply invert those posts/nubs into holes, then tap them for M3 hex set screws (black) and install once you are finished painting. This is the exact hardware used in the real prop. I used them on mine which I just finished last month;

IMG_20170124_192324.jpg

Very nice model!
Simply invert those posts/nubs into holes, then tap them for M3 hex set screws (black) and install once you are finished painting. This is the exact hardware used in the real prop. I used them on mine which I just finished last month;

Thanks for taking a look! That was a pretty good catch; I've got the models fixed and am sending the side plates to the printer tonight.
Edit: That's a lovely replica, by the way! Scratchbuild?

Last edited:
I think the little bar underneath the catch on the left hand side is meant to be a stop for the catch. Tore up against the catch. Difficult as a lot of the reference material I looked at for my build had that catch all over the place.
Great model though! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm afraid this project has come to a unceremonious end, at least for now- the 3D print utility let me know in no uncertain terms that anything relating to a firearm is verboten for the university's purposes, which bothers me in more ways than one. I'll keep an eye out for more places where I could possibly get this printed up, but until then, this project's canned.

Thats a shame universities of all places have such restrictions, but I can understand with some of the press on things like the liberator pistol.

Is there any chance you might share the Fusion 360 files? I'd love to try cut one out of MDF with my CNC router.
I completely understand if you are not prepared to do that, as I know there is a none trivial amount of work that goes into a model like that.

See if anyone on here is local to you,we help each other out a lot.I'm test printing stuff for a member, i'm in the UK and he is in the USA.At least you will know if it works and only 2 people will have your files.I can do a test if you want ..let me know

Your model looks great, I'd love to see the finished product with those real wood handles. Shame about your university printer, it's not free but have you tried 3DHubs ? They're a huge collection of people who will 3D print and post parts to you.

Is that your model?

Yes indeed, it's a print done on my Replicator 2X of the files done by fellow who posted them to myminifactory. Every part is seperate, shame as it appears the files have been taken down now. Msg me privately if you would like them as I have not deleted them yet.

Yes indeed, it's a print done on my Replicator 2X of the files done by fellow who posted them to myminifactory. Every part is seperate, shame as it appears the files have been taken down now. Msg me privately if you would like them as I have not deleted them yet.

Lol. I see you are in Edmonton, I'm also in Edmonton. Also, I'm sure those are my files, the grips are a dead giveaway.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=246786

I'll have to check myminifactory, they rejected my serenity pistol due to print issues on one piece but I thought the Firefly one was still active. In any case they are still on Thingiverse.

Edit: Hmm, still up there from what I see:
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/mal-s-model-b-pistol-tv-16263

We should meet up, I'd love to compare our finished pieces and talk shop.

Last edited:
Is there any chance you might share the Fusion 360 files? I'd love to try cut one out of MDF with my CNC router.
I completely understand if you are not prepared to do that, as I know there is a none trivial amount of work that goes into a model like that.

Sorry about the late response- I'd be happy to let you have the STLs if you still wanted them, so long as you're willing to post pics of how it goes! As long as no one distributes or resells, I'm happy to share my work on a case-by-case basis.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back