Interstellar Endurance 1/200th Scale

Re: Endurance 1/200th Scale

I spent the entire day yesterday working on the Ranger- I widened the airlock recess in order to fit a resin detail piece.

Then I used a resin cast from the 1/20th Tamiya Tyrell P34 as a basis for the thrusters, which I then laboriously milled out.
The milling machine is a very new toy to me, so I'm pleased with the results. I'm certainly no machinist yet.

The rest of the day I spent refining the bullhorns, though I forgot to get any photos of how far I got with those.

Last night I built this little detail block, it'll barely be seen but I figured it was still important to include. There aren't any decent shots of what the cavity details really look like, so I freewheeled it taking inspiration from NASA hardware.
I'll mould this as one piece, and the thrusters as plant-ons.

The casts for the rocket engine system all came out beautifully, and as you can see I was eager to firmly superglue them down into the modules.

This is why we use reference material kids! I had glued them in upside down, there needed to be three thrusters on the outermost edge, not one....

After some question of how to remove them, I wound up whacking the modules in a vice and prying the engines out with a chisel, surprisingly I only had to recast one thruster, everything else went fine!

In the evening I moved onto the Lander, I spent a couple of hours planning out ideas of how this nightmare of geometry would go together but ultimately I decided to mill it in acetal.

I ended up with some funky angles on the milling bed and a great deal of time spent with an angle square and spirit level.

In the end though, despite it being symmetrical and looking vaguely correct, I'm going to scrap it and make it from 5mm sheet acrylic...I've had my mill for a fortnight so I am nowhere near skilled enough to fathom the geometry of this vehicle on the mill.

Wonderful details! May I ask how are you doing the chamfering on the styrene sheets?

This model looks amazing! As a first time scratch modeller, I am really inspired by how accurate your work is.

May I ask - your milling machine - is this what they call a mini-milling machine? or a bench top one?
And what price range do these fall in?
I'm trying to look online, but I can only find larger ones it seems.

thanks!

Last edited:

This model looks amazing! As a first time scratch modeller, I am really inspired by how accurate your work is.

May I ask - your milling machine - is this what they call a mini-milling machine? or a bench top one?
And what price range do these fall in?
I'm trying to look online, but I can only find larger ones it seems.

thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement! My mill is a mini benchtop one, a Clarke CMD10.
I think that model is around £400, but I got mine second hand for £280.
I'll be the first to admit that it's not the greatest machine in the world but for what I need it's decent enough!

Thanks for the encouragement! My mill is a mini benchtop one, a Clarke CMD10.
I think that model is around £400, but I got mine second hand for £280.
I'll be the first to admit that it's not the greatest machine in the world but for what I need it's decent enough!

Thanks so much!

After the debacle with the first lander attempt, I decided to build the ship using 9mm perspex.
I milled the angles on the main body, but the rest of the shaping had to be done by hand with a file; you can see I've only built two pieces so far which is because I'm going to save precious time by moulding the side trapezoid part.

Next up, I'll be moulding the Ranger....wish me luck !

This is a couple of days' work here, so I'll largely let the photos speak for themselves.

After successfully casting a handful of Rangers today, I decided to practice painting one of the poorer casts (the bullhorns had bubbles in)
I want to emphasize this is a very very quick 'proof of concept' paintjob and the finished ships will be far more refined; they'll also be cast with magnets embedded for attachment/detachment to the Endurance

Photo dump: making headway on the Lander master.
Landing bulks are machined acetal, and thruster chambers in Perspex. I had to simplify the geometry of the landing bulks as I had very little success getting it correct; so I captured the essence of the shapes and moulded them. I'll cast and modify a pair for the slightly larger rear boxes.

Absolutly beautiful work HH. The Design of that Station is the best thats been done since 2001 in my opinion, so a really cool project, Cudos!
1/200...that would mean that the model will be sorta ... 32.5 cm in Diameter when done, neat!.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back