Problem with my Jason Voorhees mask.

Deccardcayne

I'm not sure if this is in the correct spot, but here goes. I was working on a Jason Voorhees mask, and I thought it turned out perfect. After applying the clear coat, it turned a milky white color. I tried fixing this with a heat gun... The mask melted. So the question is, how can I get rid of the cloudiness of the clear coat without damaging the mask? I'll post pictures of the mask before the unfortunate demise of my project. IMG_20170221_042424.jpgIMG_20170221_042428.jpgIMG_20170221_042432.jpg

A heat gun heats that plastic to fast, you want to use something slightly cooler like a hair dryer on mid setting 6 to 8 inches away. KlownOtheWastes is correct sounds like you are putting it on to thick. Do quick passes let dry full and then more light quick passes. Patience is a must with clear coat. Also check out AUZ's video, it might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rPhIlDR8ug

I used Krylon Flat Crystal Clear. I probably did spray it on too thick. This was my first attempt at any kind of mask painting/cosplay creation. I'll remember to be much more careful when my second blank comes in the mail!

Or you may have applied it when there's was too much humidity in the air, like outside when it was about to start, or was already, raining.

And I didn't think there was any way to get rid of that, applying heat can eliminate it?

I would try spraying it with a crystal clear gloss finish, it should clear the milky mudiness right up.

If that doesn't work you could always sand it down and repaint it. The blank will still be good.

I think it was a combination of spraying too many thick coats, and high humidity. Heat can fix it, but not too much. Sanding and repainting the mask will not do any good. It was melted by the heat gun. I was so happy with the clear coat clearing up... I didn't realize that it was melting. Oh well. It was my first time. Mistakes are just an opportunity to learn!

I finished my second attempt at a Jason hock. The problem that I encountered had nothing to do with humidity. It was all about the temperature. I applied the clear coat yesterday when it was 86°. It dried perfectly. I think the second hock looks so much better. IMG_20170517_134915_087.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back