Star Wars Star Destroyer Avenger screenaccurate painting

Find yourself some photo refrences. There are other threads here with links to some.

There is debate over what base color to use, from white to light grey and tints in between. I've seen the actual film model in person and there is an Aztec-like pattern of various shades on panels.

Basically white-ish grey. I used flat white and camoflage grey to get it look right. Saw it in person too in Cologne and its much "whiter" than ppl think it is. Most builders paint their Star Destroyers grey which is not hat was used at the original.
The pattern is very subtle and slightly hidden under a coat of white/camo grey. And there is very much pencil work on the whole model. Every scribed line + lines that where just drawn.
Here is a pic of my version of it:
053.JPG

Did you actually go over the lines with a pencil?

Basically white-ish grey. I used flat white and camoflage grey to get it look right. Saw it in person too in Cologne and its much "whiter" than ppl think it is. Most builders paint their Star Destroyers grey which is not hat was used at the original.
The pattern is very subtle and slightly hidden under a coat of white/camo grey. And there is very much pencil work on the whole model. Every scribed line + lines that where just drawn.
Here is a pic of my version of it:
View attachment 709334

I know that with the pencilwork...but the white/grey is tricky.
Is there not a note in the Book "Sculpting a galaxy" from Lorne Peterson?I had this book,but its sadly lost now.:(

I think the most tricky part is the lighting the picture was taken in compared to the white.

Probably start off white and add some very subtle shades over that.

Looks great...but is the color not a little bit too "white"?:unsure

Not really. The Original is just a little "dustier" due the fact its so old.

Here is a pic of the same section (yes of course it has more details than the Cooper kit...):

KG_AVENGER_STUDIO_MODEL-026.jpg

As said i saw it in person and its very very white :)

Here a pic with full flash:

KG_AVENGER_STUDIO_MODEL-101.jpg

Thanks...but its always hard to see the right color under the exposhots.A shot from a model under daylight would be great!:)

In person its almost white. what filter they used to make it look gray on screen I have no idea but its a super light gray - almost but not quite white. Its actually similar but lighter than the millennium falcon color.

Hi Guys

I can only concur with Spiker, I saw the "Star Wars Identities"exhibition three times, in Cologne, Vienna and Munich. My impression of the Star Destroyer displayed there was super WHITE! crisp and barley weathered. There is a hint of light light gray but I think that has to do with the Primer coat ILM used...black? or?. Paneling lines are not painted with washes or something like that but looks more like Pencil Lines like Spiker said.

IMG_2122.JPGIMG_3264.JPGIMG_3267.JPGIMG_3289.JPG

Some panels are slightly darker the the main "White" color but I think that was done by simply painting the white on the black base coat then masking of the panels and painting them sort a gray or something then another layer of white so that the panels that where gray now shows up like really subtle compared to the main "White" color.

Will start building my Anigrand SD kit after finishing my Nexus X-Wing an I think I would attack the color the way I explained above...lets see how it turns out.

Cheers Guys

IMG_2122.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_3289.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I´ve seen on the Bonus Disc of the SW-Blurays(Episode 1-6) is a great video and nice detailshots.It looks like a "nature white" with grey areas.:unsure

28531750lp.jpg

28531757si.jpg

28531763in.jpg

28531780qv.jpg

28531787ea.jpg

As i wrote there are patterns in different grey shape on it. They painted them on and coated them with that creamy white to tone em down.

Sweat reference pics! I can see the beutiful Aztec patterns, subtle hues of pink, tan, yellow, blue. This is how I remember it from the how I went to 20 years ago in Chicago.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back