Tin cure Mold and Platinum cure Puppet (Inhibit X use)

artcank

I have been working on a project since December and I keep running into hurdles.

My Latest is the mold I made is out of OOMOO 30 Tin Cure Silicone and the Puppet I want to make needs to be Ecoflex 00300. I have a stop motion armature that will be inside the puppet.

I bought inhibit X but want to make sure I know that I'm using it right before I commit my last bit of silicone for it.

I saw a tip to pour inhibit x in the mold and then pour it back out and let it dry for 20-30 min.

I was going to try this but didn't know if I should spray mold release before or after I did this?

Also, how exactly does inhibit x work? Is it a one time treat and be done or will I have to reapply it every time?

Thanks

Have you tried Smooth-On's tech support yet?

There not the usual tired, I've heard all of this before follow the flow chart for minimum wage type. Anytime I've contacted them, whether by email or phone, they really are helpful, are into finding a solution and know their stuff.

Last edited:
Inhibit X, let it dry, and then release.

You have to reapply it every time. Technically Smooth-On says you should use two coats but I usually don't. For bigger molds I have one of those little plastic perfume spritzers filled with it and I spray it on. Smaller molds I do just slush it in and pour it out.

The reason you wait before casting is because the solvents in the Inhibit X will swell the mold. I remember I was in a shop casting 30 something silicone rat tails in a tin mold and just a quick slush would make it seat incorrectly because it had swollen so much.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back