Got a new 89 cowl, and it's real rough

CharlesHouse

I posted this on a Facebook group. Eventually, the seller was mentioned and he showed up and defended himself. He basically said "this is how they come, you have to finish it" and snidely offered to finish it for me. His fans came in and he pushed me to delete this post.

I won't mention names. The description says "roughly finished and textured." I will post a photo of his Returns cowl to show the difference. Neither cowl was finished after getting it. The white is powder used to remove it from the mold; I didn't clean that, because it makes it easier to take photos of. The difference between the definition of the details in the Returns cowl and this one, much less the eyes and mouth, is ridiculous. I am returning the cowl.

pvNGWk7.jpg

HtZQSc9.jpg

nu48Td9.jpg

vy3miQh.jpg

The Etsy listing I purchased from states it is "a crudely textured and fashioned cowl reminiscent of the first movie. Some straightening and forming will occur with wearing and or placing on head and shoulders form and plasti dip spraying."

However, that doesn't excuse, in my opinion, the unfixable elements: mismatching eyes, rough details and edges.

His email stated that he expects Etsy users to "read between the lines" while he is more specific on Ebay, which says almost too much without being specific. "
I have had with just a little effort on your part and a few high quality generic parts. First photo is shown finished for example only. Auction is for the high grade latex cowl as pictured in 4 middle photos. Latex items may possess some minor latex imperfections but nothing that detracts from the over all... Can be used as is though I recommend a light coat of black plastidip for a dark uniform surface look."

He stated that the Ebay description is longer because they have a more strict return policy. The photos on both listings are of a finished cowl with much better eyes and details. The price is the same as the Returns cowl and a few dollars more than a Tigerstone cowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I hate when people do that. I figure that you should be specific so stuff like this doesn't happen. If you are the seller of any item than you should specify all pros and cons of your item in great detail. Sorry this happened to you. How much did dit cost?

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Well I hate to this but..... I think your cowl has had a stroke! There is no straightening or fixing that.... one eye is so much higher than the other..... and I think it has a cold.

I hope you get it all sorted and refunded. I know there is a monetary difference but if you REALLY want one....

Its coofunkcurly all the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man. Yeah I saw this play out on Facebook and was surprised to see it explode the way it did.

To put things in perspective, I acquired a PJ Wares cowl 2nd hand for not too much more than you paid. It was cast from a screen used cowl. It certainly wasn't new and it was still impeccable. Cowls in the $200+ range should be finished IMO and you should be happy with them.

In this hobby things like this happen so don't feel to bad. I have been hosed too.I hope to god you got a refund. I have seen some bad cowls in my day but this thing takes the cake. For what you spent on that, you will find some talented people on here who will make you a cowl that you will be proud of. I promise.

He refused a refund, only offering to repair it. There is no repairing a cast issue. I filed a claim.

The other issue is that I ordered boot spats and small parts around the same time. He didn't realize I purchased them, despite my sending an email and PayPal sending emails when you get funds. I wanted them for a con on Saturday. Tuesday, 10 days after ordering, I asked if they had been sent. He said he didn't know I ordered. I told him twice to either finish them and get them to me by Friday or refund me. He did neither and I got them Wednesday the week after that. I sent everything back and he is now claiming he doesn't take refunds.

I could let him "fix" everything, but not only do I not trust him to know what is good enough if he sent this as it is, I am through giving him business and don't want his product.

On the upside, that's a great start to a Dark Knight Brian Douglas costume. You just need some hockey pads.

PayPal refunded it despite the buyer not accepting a return.

He claims now that the way I returned it (in a box) ruined it, despite spending two weeks telling me how the way he made and sent it (rolled and taped in paper) was repairable.

He tried to do the same with the boot covers, telling me I ruined them, but I reminded him that I didn't take them out of his packaging. I got them and mailed them back.

The seller posted a video about how to fix a latex cowl, but it was mostly a rant about this issue.

A few things he said were inaccurate in order to make me sound like a crazy buyer.

He claims I wanted the eyes wider, and that was my main concern, but was otherwise happy then changed my mind. I didn't want the eyes wider. They were not even, and that was my main issue, as everything else could be fixed with a lot of work. See photo.

He claimed I made unusual requests and wanted to return the items because I didn't make an event. I had no other special requests. I ordered in plenty of time to make the event. I purchased the cowl through his store then contacted him for the items he doesn't sell in the shop, an emblem, boot covers, and gauntlet fins. The cowl delivered in terrible condition and he didn't realize I purchased boot spats until I asked if they had shipped more than a week later. I asked him to have them to me when I needed them or refund me. He delivered them several days after. Because of how unprofessional he was in regards to the cowl, I chose to return everything.

He is conflating the different issues into one.

He claims it delivers just as the item looks in the photos. It does not come as in the photos; the main photo has a heavy filter, the other is very small. Ignoring the shape of the eyes, the texture is very rough, which is why I didn't wash the powder to demonstrate.

I didn't say the edges don't go down. They shipped standing at an angle.

He claims I posted on a bunch of groups to talk about him. I did not post in a bunch of places to attack his name. I posted here and on a facebook group, both telling me it was unacceptable. I only named him on the group when someone asked and deleted it to save his name.

"I can't make a damage claim because it isn't damaged." PayPal says he opened a damage claim. So, he is trying to profit from dishonest actions.

He says the item is listed as crude. It is not described as crude. The Etsy listing has been changed since. It says it may have minor imperfections, an addendum that was not in the listing before I purchased. I purchased a large head cowl because his smaller cowl does not fit. I do not understand why he mentions it so often.

Here is how it shipped to me. In the video, he opens the box I sent it back in, claiming the box is why it was in poor condition. He shipped it taped in paper.

aAw6Tfp.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back