HELP! Mould making/Casting Materials

Circuit Breaker

Hi Guys
I need to make a cast of a toy gun to make multiples for a short film. I have never done any mould making/casting before and have a couple of questions (I apologise if there are threads already, I just need some specific queries)
I am in the UK and smooth-on seems to be quite expensive here - I would like to make a silicone mould and I found this on

amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...act_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A204O2456CII0K

It looks like the thing I'm after, but I am unsure - especially when it comes to measurements. The item I need to mould is a pistol - not very big - will this be enough? Also, I know this is probably a silly question but what is the cheapest material to actually pour in, to make the copies? everything I've seen is quite pricey and I'm struggling to see the price benefit of casting?! If anyone has some recommendations or links to a product on amazon I would be so grateful

Once I get the materials sorted on amazon I could share the list so it would be really easy for anyone to do what I am trying to now - I've added so far:
• Clay
• Clay tools for keying/cleaning
• Release agent (spray)
• Foam board for the sides
• Hot glue gun

Many thanks!

Casting is usually done on something you've made your self so it helps with time and cost, with a toy gun you may just want to buy em from a shop to save money.

Oh and Resin is what you're after for the "pouring in" part

Traditionally, the only two reasons you would mold and cast copies is if you are making dozens of them, or if you are casting foam rubber stunt copies. If you only need a few, I would recommend just buying them.

In the U.K. you can check out mbfg.co.uk. They have alternatives to smooth on in various sizes. The sg2000 resin would be what you want, but as has been mentioned it may be cheaper just to buy several of the toys unless there's a specific reason not to.

Good quality molding silicone is expensive everywhere. I pay $70/KG here. It only really gets cheaper when bought in a 5KG bucket.

I agree with what has been said above - if you are new to this and you don't really need to mold and cast your parts because you can buy them for less, then do that. It can be pretty heart breaking when you spend big bucks on this stuff only to have to start again.

First question you should be asking yourself? How much does the toy gun cost?

Most likely, that ~1kg kit your looking at is not going to be enough. Especially since you've never done this before.

Just remember, you have to mold it. Expensive and maybe difficult.
You have to cast it. Maybe Pricey
You have to finish it to look close to a real gun. What experience do you have with that?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back