Human or dwarf sized?

Rcampen

Propmaker dilemma, while making a sword from the Hobbit, should I make it original size(39in) or scaled for human size (49in)...

The sword is Orcrist the goblin cleaver btw

Last edited:
Advice giver's dilemma: Offer advice based on the little information given or make assumptions that could easily be wrong.

Make it for the character I guess, is what I too will recommend.

make it in proportion to whoever will be carrying it. If sword is half the height of the character who used it, make have the height of the cosplayer using it

My advice: It depends on how you'll be using the prop.
It it's just for display, on the wall on in a collection, then you'll want it sized 'true to life' so that you (as a human) are picking up something sized for a Dwarf. So the 39" option
If you're planing on a Thorin costume where you'll be dressed as a Dwarf, then you'll want the 49" option. That way you and the sword will look in proportion.

My $0.02 - hope it helps

It it's just for display, on the wall on in a collection, then you'll want it sized 'true to life' so that you (as a human) are picking up something sized for a Dwarf. So the 39" option
If you're planing on a Thorin costume where you'll be dressed as a Dwarf, then you'll want the 49" option. That way you and the sword will look in proportion.

My $0.02 - hope it helps

That actually does help man, Cheers

My $0.02 - hope it helps

Exactly the suggestion I would make too. For displays I would go with true scale but if cosplaying I would scale it to the person carrying the item. Entirely personal preference though!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back