ultra cal 30 mold making question

Brickxar

Hi,
i'm working a full head mask that i'll make out of latex with the mold made of ultra cal 30 and i have a few questions.
1. is there a cheaper plaster then ultra cal 30 that works as well?
1. how much plaster will i need for a 2 part mold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UltraCal is great for latex use because it is strong, has very little shrinkage and can be used for vulcanizing if necessary. HydroCal is lighter, weaker and isn't as accurate once it gives up it's moisture.

Depending on where you live, you can check Sculpture or Ceramic Supply houses, since they usually carry Pottery plaster and HydroCal, you might find Ultra or they'll get it for you.

The other option is a good contractor supply (not Home Depot type) that carries USG products, check with their distributor list.

The price is high because of shipping, you can probably score an 80lbs bag of the stuff for $30 if you can go pick it up. I remember buying the stuff from Earth Materials for about $10 a bag (talking a long time ago).

UltraCal is very nice for the price. As ausf said, the price is high because of shipping. To pick it up straight from the source, it would be a lot cheaper.

sorry for asking another question, but is two quarts enough to do a full head mask?

Bags man, bags.

For a full head, you're probably going to want to go close to 2 inches thick with burlap in there. I've never actually worked out how much like you would do with silicone, etc, because I'd usually have a large amount on hand, but I wouldn't even start a full head without a 50 lb bag ready and that might be pushing it.

would 2 quarts of latex be enough for a full head mask to only goes half way down the neck

would 2 quarts of latex be enough for a full head mask to only goes half way down the neck

Depends on the method you plan on using to cast. If you're going to be slush casting then 2 quarts will be more than enough, but if you're going to be using the method(i forget what it's called) that involves filling your mold to the rim with latex and letting it sit until it forms a 2-3mm skin (45-60 min) inside the mold then you'll probably need at least a gallon, if not several.

thanks, one more question i just made the mold and it has some bubbles and a big seam. can i use monster makers clay to cover this up, or should i mix a little ultra cal to fill the areas.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back