Weathering Oil and Grit Effect

Drac

Sr Member
Hi all I know there are many threads here on different types of weathering but I have found it difficult to find any tutorials or examples of what I'm looking for.
I'm trying to find ways of making an oil/dirt/grit looking weathering. I've heard of using sand or sawdust, but how fine? Or is there any examples or tutorials around?

This is for a chainsaw at present but I have other projects that I will need this for. Looking for the build up of grit and oil mix that you would get on a dirty prop.

If anyone could help it would be appreciated. :)

Kind regards

P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a gritty texture the method I use is getting the surface damp and then sprinkling table salt on the surface. That gives you a texture that you can paint over.

Hmmm never heard of using salt, daft question but you would think it would dissolve lol obviously it doesn't I guess :)

That's one awesome looking bug :) not quite the technique I'm after though :-/ cheers for the vid though.

This is the sort of thing I'm aiming for:

E1C25A27-FAB7-4AEC-AEB1-6CBD1CE32033.jpg

Not sure what paint to use to get the sheen that's on it? :)

Take some saw dust and grind it up so that it is smaller, and then soak it in black water do darken. Once dry you can use it to cake on and use elmers glue to lock in place as it will dry clear. You can actually use coffee grounds too if needed. Then you can layer washes of paint on top for more aging and dry brushing. Then to finish off, mist with Krylon TRIPLE THICK CLEAR Coat which will give you that gloss look as well as lock down the texture and paint.

Take some saw dust and grind it up so that it is smaller, and then soak it in black water do darken. Once dry you can use it to cake on and use elmers glue to lock in place as it will dry clear. You can actually use coffee grounds too if needed. Then you can layer washes of paint on top for more aging and dry brushing. Then to finish off, mist with Krylon TRIPLE THICK CLEAR Coat which will give you that gloss look as well as lock down the texture and paint.

Kewl thanks I'll look into that :) only one thing what's black water?

If you have access to the sawdust i would mix it with thinned enamel satin black such as humbrol. No too thin though. You could add a little gloss black in the mix if the sheen was not 'sheenee' enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Kewl thanks I'll look into that :) only one thing what's black water?

I think they were in Iraq?.

If you have access to the sawdust i would mix it with thinned enamel satin black such as humbrol. No too thin though. You could add a little gloss black in the mix if the sheen was not 'sheenee' enough.

Worth a shot, I'm assuming that it would be thinned with spirits such as white spirit? Would that work?

Mix black paint and water to darken the water. Then you let the sawdust soak it up, making the sawdust turn black. Then you let it dry and the sawdust is now black. But I have used coffee grounds to good results too, ans when you clear coat it, you lock it down and don;t have to worry about issues like rot, bugs or anything like that.

Mix black paint and water to darken the water. Then you let the sawdust soak it up, making the sawdust turn black. Then you let it dry and the sawdust is now black. But I have used coffee grounds to good results too, ans when you clear coat it, you lock it down and don;t have to worry about issues like rot, bugs or anything like that.

Ok nice, I'll have a play around with that then :)

- - - Updated - - -

I think they were in Iraq?.

Iraq? You lost me lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back