Anyone ever build a R2D2 prop for cheap

Haha..cheap is a very relative term.
I'd suggest hop on over to astromech.net, join up and read for a few months to start learning about all the different ways to do it.
I've seen R2s built out of paper, cardboard, plastic, fiberglass, wood, and aluminum.
Depending on your choice of materials and what you want it to do, you're looking at anywhere from $300 to $30,000.

I suggest if you want to make it cheap, well, good luck. It really depends on what your going for. If you want a working r2, it will cost you. A droid that can made mobile without the electronics, motors and wheels will cost over 200.00 and that's if you make a non rounded dome. You will have to make an R5 or R4 dome from scratch.

The R2 dome uncut goes for 100, and cut for 200.00, plus finish parts. IE, radar eye, holos, and LPD's

Your electronics, motors and wheels would add around 300 and that's for a basic moving droid with sound.

If you want a static droid for decorative purposes only, I would use cardboard and other found parts to keep your cost down. However if your going for accuracy, you would use the plans on astromech.com. the only catch is, the average cost to print them out is around 40 to 60 dollars.

Good luck on the project, it's very fun and rewarding. Mine is still a work in progress.

So, I hope this helps and the best start is astromech.com and doing alot of research.

Has anyone ever built a R2D2 as a prop for cosplay cheap ....if so what did you start with?
Go over to astromech.net. alot of the guys here on the rpf (including myself) are on there. The cheapest way to build a r2 for cosplay is a styrene droid. It'll still cost quite a bit though. Just realize these droids can take around 2-3 years to get into a driving state for public appearances and such. Just do research on the astromech sites.

But at least my electronics work. ;) haha. Speaking of which, did you ever get a replacement Mega?

So do mine. Just not my new ones. No, still waiting. Apparently the 7-10 days delivery, was their stocks from the US, not delivery to me. Hopefully soon. Don't worry, you'll be the first to know!

- - - Updated - - -

And to the OP, depends what you want it to do. Completely static, no moving parts, can be done very cheap and very quick. My fully operational styrene droid took me about 9months and about $1000- or so. That was scratch building almost everything though.

Some friends and I made this static R5-D5 out of cardboard and other scrap materials for around $100, and most of that cost was spray paint and glue. We adapted the styrene plans from astromech.net for our needs.

VpokpcL.jpg

The only non-scratch built pieces are the 3 main eyes and the battery box straps, which are resin pieces we obtained locally. Its not 100% accurate by any means and is missing some pieces, but it gets the job done. We display him at our 501st events.

Some day I would like to automate the dome but I need to find an electronics genius willing to help me ;)

Some friends and I made this static R5-D5 out of cardboard and other scrap materials for around $100, and most of that cost was spray paint and glue. We adapted the styrene plans from astromech.net for our needs.

http://i.imgur.com/VpokpcL.jpg

The only non-scratch built pieces are the 3 main eyes and the battery box straps, which are resin pieces we obtained locally. Its not 100% accurate by any means and is missing some pieces, but it gets the job done. We display him at our 501st events.

Some day I would like to automate the dome but I need to find an electronics genius willing to help me ;)

Looks great. My first droid build was made with the wrong material that was sold as styrene. I'm rebuilding parts for the proper strength, however I fear I may keep going and rebuild everything. If I do, I will make the original an R5D4. For some reason, this has always been my favorite even though he has very limited time in the films.

You don't need an electronics genius to automate your dome. Just a motor and Ardunio would get you going. Rockler bearings aka lazy Susan is also needed.

Have you got some Behind The Scenes pictures of your build ? It might be an interesting thread for starters (like me and many of us) who want to build their own astromech :D
Dude, it looks so good !

Have you got some Behind The Scenes pictures of your build ? It might be an interesting thread for starters (like me and many of us) who want to build their own astromech :D
Dude, it looks so good !

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

Anyone looking to replicate my method, I would head over to Astromech.net and look at the styrene builds and plans. In essence my build followed the same steps as a styrene build, but I used posterboard, cardboard, and foamcore instead of styrene.

Hope this helps!

4bc613bdcc1579f24e8475ec86c50191.jpg

77fda0db71dfb1542cc343045f457fab.jpg

3e497cd537a1359f8ec36dfe3a0dd1d4.jpg

8ccb65e9092005503ce5b646478d448e.jpg

80d57c6734f073bd5b1491dd3fc5be2b.jpg

053e9d882d1a835eea42576f22b9b056.jpg

5892277bfcdd3cc60a0709598c86471a.jpg

3d188a32ddfa03ece95bb66cb1c87736.jpg

c1a62177414ad2da2fe0736e22c03e0e.jpg

That is A+mazing!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back