Robocop 1987 build "Your move creep!"

bitbull

Hey guys,I thought I just share my Robocop build here. I have made Iron Man armors in the past for my kid and myself with pepakura in foam and cardstock.
This was really time consuming, and between family and work there is just not to much free time left. Then my attention switched to 3d printing, and 3d printers becoming afordable. You don't need to fiberglass it, almost no bondo and nice finish when painted. (example below Of an Iron man display piece I did for my son)
I bought a 3d printer about a half year ago to make another Iron Man armor.

And then I tought wouldn't it be awesome to print a Robocop armor. I started looking and found a couple of threads here on the RPF and at the Robocop archive.I bought the file and currently my 3d printer is spitting out parts:D

Here is my progress
poDwhkO0j
pmiXo058j
pnSM822qj

And here's the Iron man display piece.
pmDifUxvj

Last edited:
I don't know if I can post prices here, but the files are from Do3d. Shoot them a message and they will tell you the cost of the files.

I notice in someone else's thread you mentioned the 'challenges'. What do you foresee, or have you come across already?

How long to print the leg? What cost of materials (and how much was printer?) Looks amazing

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

The leg took me about 80 to 100 hours. The printer was about €700, but there are cheaper ones ,but I went for the prusa i3 mk2 because of it's support. I use innofil3d pro1 filament. These rolls are only 750 gram and are quite expensive but are much more flexible than regular pla and abs. I used about 4 rolls fot the entire leg, boot to thigh.

Well ,scaling for one. I am about 6'1, 1.85 meters so i had to scale up a bit. Then I noticed the arms are way to bulky. Had to scale those down. Also the shin piece is to narrow at the bottom to get my foot trough. I had to cut a piece of the shin to make fit. This piece will be held with magnets or buckles. Don't know yet. You know that kinda challenges. There will be more ahead I think.

I notice in someone else's thread you mentioned the 'challenges'. What do you foresee, or have you come across already?

Yeah, I can see those sorts of issues. I've built a few ABS armour kits (stormtroopers, etc) before, but they are a lot more flexible to fit and adjust. I'm only 5'7", so I might need to scale it down a bit.
Arms do look huge, but I wonder if that's part of the look...

Will be watching your build closely :)

I use netfabb and a scan of body. I attach all the parts so I can get an idea of how it will look like. I take reference pictures from the movie and compare them. Altough this is a very nice model, it is not that accurate.

The arms and chest on mine were too big on me even when scaled for my height so I've made the decision to go for a better, smaller fit rather than sticking 100% to the pep file I've been working with. I want to avoid giant gaps at the elbows and knees if I can help it.
As for the shins, I can just about squeeze my foot through my paper mock up but no doubt that'll change with the foam version! I'm planning on leaving two seams on either side "open" and using elastic strap so when I put my foot through it should close up by itself without needing buckles. I don't know how flexible the 3d print filament is but could that sort of thing work for yours?

Re: Robocop 1987 build "Your move creep!"

The arms and chest on mine were too big on me even when scaled for my height so I've made the decision to go for a better, smaller fit rather than sticking 100% to the pep file I've been working with. I want to avoid giant gaps at the elbows and knees if I can help it.
As for the shins, I can just about squeeze my foot through my paper mock up but no doubt that'll change with the foam version! I'm planning on leaving two seams on either side "open" and using elastic strap so when I put my foot through it should close up by itself without needing buckles. I don't know how flexible the 3d print filament is but could that sort of thing work for yours?

Foam has the tendency to stretch a litle, 3d prints don't.
I saw that the " bruce hansing" suits have a similar system that I use. And these suits are supposed to be copies of the movie armor.
As you can see herehttp://www.legionxxiv.org/robocop.htm

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back