Popeye

cckaiser2

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've always wanted to put together a Popeye costume. Tonight I decided to sculpt the head. It's on a smaller size headform so this may end up being a urethane head as it likely won't fit me. I may consider making parts of the face into appliances that I can attach - any suggestions on how? I've never tried that.

29c37128f5475eb594e751a818fe64b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a break and came back to the sculpt - not dramatic enough.

c52884eee0271a1f9af2d1f8c885c958.jpg

5d7114adc7acec46f587ad8eb079fff6.jpg

Once he has the hat on it will look better.

If you plan on appliances, you need your own life cast to sculpt them on.

But then if you have your own LC, you could also make a mask on it that'll fit well.

If you're planning on just making something for a costume, I'd stay away from appliances, especially if you plan on wearing it for long or enjoying yourself while wearing it.

If you plan on appliances, you need your own life cast to sculpt them on.

But then if you have your own LC, you could also make a mask on it that'll fit well.

If you're planning on just making something for a costume, I'd stay away from appliances, especially if you plan on wearing it for long or enjoying yourself while wearing it.

I need to practice molding and casting so thought I'd try it on a smaller head form. I'll probably do this in urethane as a sculpture piece to practice. I'll definitely do a lifecast.

Generally, for appliances (at least back in my days), you start with a life cast and design your character and how the pieces will be laid out. Then you make smaller sections of the life cast and sculpt the individual pieces (the two pieces will become the mold for the appliances) with proper edging.

But again, those are mainly for film work, it's pretty involved for a costume. Pulling a mask on and off would be light years easier and more comfortable.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back