Manhunter Mask / Baton - Mark Shaw

Oroboros

Getting started on my first project!

I've always been an avid (and sometimes rabid) comic collector. I tend to love more obscure charcters that wind up in the dollar bin before you know it, and they never get the cool merch. The Manhunter character from the 80's is an all-time favorite of mine, and while DC has given some love to the androids, they've left Shaw to languish in obscurity.

I'm a big guy (6'5", 275lbs) so I've never been able to find an off the shelf costume item or mask that will fit my frame and head. I convinced a friend to help me with a head cast, and so I'm giving this a shot.

WiP - Plaster bust, sunglass lenses, and sculpy to start. Blocking out rough volumes. Using the original as reference, not going for an exact copy. Going for a more stylized Bicentennial Man type of face, over a structured and mechanical frame/understructure. Sculpy may not be the best medium to start in, but it's what I have availalbe. Intent is to mold and then cast in transparent blue epoxy resin w/ various silver overpaintings for backlighting effects.

I'm a novice here, so any help, suggestions, critiques are welcome.

Attachments

• Front-2_16.jpg
    Front-2_16.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 227
  • Side-2_16.jpg
    Side-2_16.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 126
  • c1r3kcb2zkqsxxn20elx.jpg
    c1r3kcb2zkqsxxn20elx.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 181
  • d4bd19850872be6ebf415938357ba155.jpg
    d4bd19850872be6ebf415938357ba155.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 156
  • ea8b9sv9izuvd81awy4k.jpg
    ea8b9sv9izuvd81awy4k.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Manhunter-Mask-DC-Universe.jpg
    Manhunter-Mask-DC-Universe.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 467
  • Marco DiLucca Bicentennial Man.jpg
    Marco DiLucca Bicentennial Man.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 138
  • Mark_Shaw_008.jpg
    Mark_Shaw_008.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 144
Side-A-2_17.jpgSide-B-2_17.jpgFront-2_19.jpgSide-2_19.jpgSide-B-2_19.jpg
Progress Shots. The original character design by Doug Rice was heavily influenced by anime and was very striking, however I want a more modern look. I've been free-forming the sculpt so far, blocking in the volumes and playing with the shapes, but I need to change tactic. It's been fun so far, but I keep going over and reshaping areas that don't really need it. So, backtracking a bit and I'll refine the concept and do some comparative sketches first so I can forge ahead once I finalize my design.

Front-2_24.jpgSide-2_24.jpgSide-B-2_24.jpgPaintOver.jpg
A little progress and a paint over of the Bicentenial Man image for inspiration. Sculpy is being challenging. It's great when it's malleable, but when it cools off on the bust for a few days, it gets crumbly when you start to work it again.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back