Star Wars VIII & IX - will Disney go with the unexpected?

nwjedidave

Sr Member
I had always thought that the prequels would be SO MUCH MORE interesting if - at last 1/3 of the film if the roles of Anakin and Obi Wan were switched! Ani takes over the role of "Ben" Kenobi as there would have been a possible love triangle. (I'm not the first to mention this) The original Obi Wan would have much more background after being kicked out of the Jedi order for the discovery of his "affair" with Padme. With this in mind here is the question in regards to this thread title -

Could/will Disney take their beloved female action hero and turn her to the darkside while letting the "villain" of EP VII redeem himself?

As the discussion has already been made here - you could see Rey was a lot stronger and more proficient after she tapped into the flowing of the force and used her hatred of Kylo to subdue him.

Using the next two films what are your thoughts on the Rey/Kylo role reversals and redemption?

Good question - but I just don't see it from Disney. They've sunk so much into Rey as almost a new "Disney Princess" and role model for girls (and a way of bringing girls in to the franchise) that I don't see them making her "truly" fall and undo all that (and the related merchandising.) Even with their Marvel property, when they had to show "conflict" between heroes (Captain America: Civil War), they still fudged it enough that no hero was truly "bad" or "wrong", just on different sides of the same morally-grey issue - so they could resume their "good guy" status in the next installment.

Not saying I wouldn't like to see what you are proposing . . .

M

Or she falls and is on Kylo's side and Luke pulls them back. Maybe one doesn't survive or something.

Kylo turns Rey...Luke turns kylo, snoke gets pissed and kills kylo, rey switches back and she and luke take down Snoke.

I think "switching roles" would be the easy way to tell the story. Make the adventure or scenario challenging to them and I'll be happy.

I think one of the problems with the EU was every other series some Jedi turned to the Dark Side. I can't recall where, but I remember Lucas saying that a Jedi turning to the Dark Side is almost unheard of. That's why they couldn't believe that Dooku was doing the things he was doing. So we already have Kylo, that's enough.

They're not going to take risks as they're a modern movie studio: they'll cookie cutter the living hell out of Star Wars like every other studio does with franchises. Which means they'll just keep remaking the original trilogy in some form just like the EU books did all the time.

I just want a new story. Stop copying the OT and go your own route.

I think it's more likely that they'll take the OT and tweak it some.

So, Kylo will have personally chosen to become evil because he thinks it will result in a good end. This was alluded to with Vader, but Anakin's fall was never as the "tragic fallen hero," and was more the "whiny man-baby with abandonment issues." They could do that with Kylo and it would be different. Not a sea-change of difference, but different nonetheless.

I also would expect that we'll see some real difference in terms of how the Force itself is discussed and understood through the films. So, while the tropes for the characters and their basic arcs will be similar, those aspects will be different.

This, by the way, is pretty common in (for example) the Gundam series, which frequently revisits the same themes and dynamics between character archetypes.

I think one of the problems with the EU was every other series some Jedi turned to the Dark Side. I can't recall where, but I remember Lucas saying that a Jedi turning to the Dark Side is almost unheard of. That's why they couldn't believe that Dooku was doing the things he was doing. So we already have Kylo, that's enough.

Yet another reason why the EU should be generally ignored.

They're not going to take risks as they're a modern movie studio: they'll cookie cutter the living hell out of Star Wars like every other studio does with franchises. Which means they'll just keep remaking the original trilogy in some form just like the EU books did all the time.

Possibly. But like I said, I'd expect to see some variations.

I think they could do what ever they want to within reason. Personally, the whole Jedi verses Sith has been done to death for me, and I'm thoroughly bored with it. Neither the Jedi (who apparently must refuse to produce offspring and therefore force themselves into extinction) or the Sith (who murder their way to the top of the command structure )seem particularly sensible strategies for success, and the newly rumoured "flexible force" grey rules are far more interesting and unpredictable. Its more the way all living things are. The good and the bad, drawing energies from both under certain circumstances to survive without either dominating their natural temprements, thats the kind of balance to the Force I would look for.
If they wanted to they could really stretch the boundaries for the series going forward. Afterall there is this huge "Unknown" region out there. Quite why its so unknown after all this time is a little strange, but it allows for a large number of possiblities to co exist alongside the old Jedi/Sith ideologies without contradicting the current SW cannon.
Given this is where the First Order has dwelt on the outskirts for decades, its got so many alternatives and different histories that could be explored. There is no doubt we are going to see an expanded area of Force powers and mythology going forward with Rey. And to what level is Snoke deliberately driving Kylo Ren and Luke somewhat mad by manipulating them (with had the rumoured darkside spirits), it really does seem odd that both of them have such profond personality changes at the same time?
I do wish people wouldn't keep pushing the Disney agenda though. If anything convinces me they are just letting the people at Lucasfilm get on with it it was how they let "Rogue One " play out in the end. That took some guts to let them kill the entire cast and yet the massive BO proved it was the right choice to make. I'll readily admit there are elements of "TFA" that I hugely dislike but that wasn't Disney it was what JJ chose to do with parts of the story and the way the SW universe worked.
But lets not doubt he also made some brilliant choices as well, particularly with character moments , some stunning set pieces and pretty much dragging the trilogy back to life. Three fifths of it work very well for me , one fifth not so well and well you know the rest.
And I think this Episode is really going to surprise us. Mainly because of the way Rian writes,because of the films he has previously directed , the themes that he finds interesting in the movies and TV he likes and because I really hope so.

Funny that I've not seen Rian Johnson's name mentioned much in this thread. Lawrence Kasdan Who co-wrote TFA (which people seem to forget) referred to episode 8 script as a "weird thing".

Last edited:
I also doubt Disney will "crash" their hero as they have had a lot of free press about both Rey and Jyn. But it would be a nice unexpected change!

I don't like it. Rey's my hero, and I want her to stay my hero.
Kylo's an evil little twerp and I want him to get what he's got coming to him.

Agreed on part one.

Part two is difficult for me. Part of me wants to see Ben redeemed because I believe there is a whole lot of good in him. BUT, there is also this anarchist side to him that makes me think he can't ever truly embrace Rey's path. I love that they clearly want to save one another, and I think the fact that their respective natures basically assure that they never will submit to the other is such a delicious conflict of characters that i really want that to just go on and on.

I want Rey to stay true because I fully believe that she is so... inspite of her flaws, weaknesses, lack of vision, idealism, etc... she is true blue at heart and I want her to stay that way--in spite of what might be thrown at her to temp her.

Ben, though? Man... it's complicated.

Agreed on part one.

Part two is difficult for me. Part of me wants to see Ben redeemed because I believe there is a whole lot of good in him. BUT, there is also this anarchist side to him that makes me think he can't ever truly embrace Rey's path. I love that they clearly want to save one another, and I think the fact that their respective natures basically assure that they never will submit to the other is such a delicious conflict of characters that i really want that to just go on and on.

I want Rey to stay true because I fully believe that she is so... inspite of her flaws, weaknesses, lack of vision, idealism, etc... she is true blue at heart and I want her to stay that way--in spite of what might be thrown at her to temp her.

Ben, though? Man... it's complicated.

Dabbling in necromancy today, Kristen? ;)

It would have been a very interesting development if that happened in 8. In retrospect I kinda wish that happenned after the throne room scene. Rey was let down massively by Luke and just tasted how much power she has, so got tempted not to share with anyone. Kylo chose to kill Snoke to save Rey instead of trying to become the supreme leader but then she turned on him (she already proved she can beat him). Then ep9 can have Kylo caught between a rock and a hard place cuz he’s not exactly welcome in the Resistance either, etc etc tons of possibilities some are obviously worse than others.
I don’t think they’ll go down that drastic, 7 and 8 cemented Rey as a hero and has no reason to turn unlike Luke who was torn regarding his father.

apparently so! I'm not even sure how it happened...I didn't notice it was an old thread until after i replied to it.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure how the RPF even showed this to me, because I was in the "new posts" area! :p

I say let's go back to the beginning, and know I don't mean the original trilogy. The Jedi were protectors of the republic for thousands of years. Let's go so far back there is not Skywalker. Let's meet some new characters, let's have lightsabers that have to be plugged into a wall or God forbid they use blasters and let's do something in universe but something new and fresh.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back