CW (The Real) Jay Garrick Build

sdasi1

As soon as I saw John Wesley Shipp put on that Jay Garrick costume I instantly fell in love it and so I have decided to give my Reverse Flash costume a bit of a break and switch to light side of the speedsters to create a full Jay Garrick costume.

the-flash-jay-garrick-earth-3-full.jpeg

Last edited:
To start off I searched literally every costume site I knew of and found two that sold the costume, Xcoser and Cosplay-Shops. Now while Cosplay-Shops by far has the more accurate and nicer costume it's price was just too high compared to how many times I know I will wear this costume and my current finances.

Screenshot 2017-02-18 03.06.47.png vs 1_5_2.jpg

So I purchased Xcoser's version which to be fair is still accurate enough and only cost me $228 and that was for the costume itself and the boots. So I sent off my measurements and it is set to arrive tommorow.

While the costume is getting here I thought I'd show a look at how I'm doing the helmet.

hqdefault.jpg

At first I wanted to 3d print to my head size however I could never find a particular file I liked that matched the CW version so I decided to once again search online for a different option and said option was found on Ebay.

5680eedf928a8926d82ad6c6-1-large.jpg

Now this is more accurate pic of what I bought than the listing showed as I believed at first that it was dark silver with the lighting making it appear all gold however that was not the case and curiously it comes as all gold. Putting aside the fact that the colour is wrong however the helmet is actually made from some type of metal so it defintely has an authentic look and feel to it so I now just simply need to repaint the actual "helmet" section silver while masking over the ear bolts as their colour is perfect.

Last edited:
Alright the suit has arrived and I have to say I'm fairly impressed with the quality of it. The boots are sturdy and accurate, the jacket is nice and comfortable and they've sent resin cast pieces or something very similar for the chest bolt and belt buckle which takes the out the work of me having to make them.

2017-02-20 16.03.53.jpg 2017-02-20 16.03.44.jpg

However, there are/were issues the most pertinent being the way it fits me, this suit was real loose. This will be different for everyone but I more or less in my measurements have the XS size and I am by no means an XS dude so even with a bit muscle this suit was a bit loose. The pic you see below is what the suit looks like pinned back ready for tailor and in this mode it looks and feels absolutely great so it's now been sent off to my tailors for some major adjusting.

2017-01-12 14.26.43-1.jpg

I would recommend this suit to anyone on a budget but be warned that unless you're a more stouter gentleman your suit will need to be tailored.

Attachments

• 2017-02-20 16.03.53.jpg
    2017-02-20 16.03.53.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 190
  • 2017-02-20 16.03.44.jpg
    2017-02-20 16.03.44.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 212
  • 2017-02-20 16.03.53.jpg
    2017-02-20 16.03.53.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Alright proper update time.

The helmet is coming along nicely as you can see in the pics below and is now looking much much more accurate to the show.

2017-03-01 16.45.10 - 2.jpg 2017-03-01 16.45.42 - 2.jpg

I managed the remove the gold finish on the helmet simply by using some sand paper to scrape it away which let me tell takes a while. I was worried at first that I was dulling the helmet down too much however going back and watching the show, the helmet is actually quite dull as opposed to the comics and this is so we don't we camera lens and crew reflected in Jay's scenes. I still need to finish scraping off some residual colour however I am very happy with how its heading.

Keeps your eyes on the thread because very soon I will get my suit back from the tailor and then I'll be moving onto creating the belt.

Sorry there haven't been any new updates everyone, I'm just currently waiting for some red pleather for the belt to arrive so once that gets here I'll do a little build process on the belt.

You can also spray the helmet with Windex and scrub it with fine steel wool at this point. Looks great!

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Ok update on the belt. My material arrived today and I am thrilled with it. It matches the Red Pleather on the XCoser costume perfectly and is nice and lightweight.

2017-03-08 18.20.37-2.jpg

I'm going to be crafting the belt over the weekend but until then here's a little preview of how it looks with the belt buckle.

2017-03-08 17.25.17-2.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back