3D Printing for Cosplay / Props

Maximushaydos

Hey all!
I have recently got into the world of 3D printing and I am loving every minute of it. What I don't see a lot of on the site (been a while since I have been on to be honest) is talk about the medium, so I thought why not start one!

So as I am beginning to teach myself modeling I thought why not open up the lines of communication for all levels of skill bases. Anything 3D print related feel free to add in this thread,

How hard is mining weapons from a game such as WOW and then turning them into print ready .STL's? Something that I would like to achieve when I am up to date with modeling.

Feel free to show us your current modeling projects or prints as well!

Maximus

My brother and I bought a 3D printer a while back, it's a Wanhao Duplicator i3 clone. Pretty good printer.

I haven't started making props but we enjoy mucking around with it. I'm a mechanical engineer and have been mucking around in 3D since I was a kid so modelling isn't too hard, however finding good software is! FreeCAD is pretty good but not very intuitive. I don't think it can create assemblies which is a bit annoying - but it's free.

I'm curious about mining files from gaming - especially the titles I grew up playing.

I too just purchased a 3D printer and am learning modeling. The printer is a delta style named Hatchbox. I picked this up from Amazon for a couple of clicks and it's at the front door. Yes, that simple. I plugged it in and it worked on the first try. I was amazed! 2017.01.box.JPG I also don't know why this pic is on side. sorry, it wasn't when I selected it.

The problem was my drawing skills. I began with Google Sketchup, and felt it wasn't best for 3D printing, but I did manage to get this done:

P1120227.jpg

Sketchup has cause to many issues, and I am no viewing youtube instruction videos for Autodesk123. Stay tuned for results.

Yes, coming from a CAD background I wasn't a fan of sketchup. It has good points, for sure - but I just found it frustrating for what I wanted at the time.

I haven't tried AutoDesk123 yet. I might give it a look.

I'm getting into it too. Had the printer for a while but not had u huge amount of time to use it.
I printed this sword from adventure time for a friend's birthday present, filled, sanded and painted.

413115883.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Loving all the comments in the thread! I have a XYZware Da Vinci 1.0a which I bought because I really didn't want to muck around building one myself and it was a good price when I bought it. That being said a friend of mine had one and she got great results with it. I have printed a few things out now thanks to the power of MyMiniFactory and Thingiverse (which to be honest I don't find the files all that good there). I have printed out a pair of Star Lord blasters, Rocket boot packs and his belt buckle, Judge Dredd Lawgiver and Urban badge, Robocop Auto 9 from the 80's and other little bits and pieces.

I am in the middle of printing some weapons from overwatch at the moment but I don't get a lot of time to be at the printer at the moment due to work and personal commitments.

I really want to get into printing out full armour but I find that being slightly taller than most designs I will have to do a bit of rescale work and to be honest that really scares the poopsicles out of me! I do have a lot of files that I have bought but I still don't have a lot of experience in slicing and scaling to fit me (or knowing that I am doing it right) I have been thinking about buying a cheap Kinect from work and learning how to scan things in.

I recently bought an eye of Agamoto from Doctor Strange that I was thinking about giving a go at scanning and then building files from it, but I think that I might be a little too ambitious at this stage, lol.

I'm in the same boat, I have the same 3d printer and I am wanting to print shoretrooper armor from Star Wars Rogue One ... I'm 6'6" I have a friend also working on 501st/Mandalorian Mercs stuff who advised to try blender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the DaVinci jr and love it. Required some modding though :)

I am currently printing the hilts of LOTR swords and adding holes through them to attach to steel rods I had laying about. I use Tinkercad for editing existing STL files as its so easy :)

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 11.50.23.png
Printed and waiting for the epoxy to dry...

sting epoxy drying.jpg

How hard is mining weapons from a game such as WOW and then turning them into print ready .STL's? Something that I would like to achieve when I am up to date with modeling.

It can be a real chore, depending on the model. Game assets are usually very simple geometry (and not made with 3D printing in mind, so there's usually a lot of non-manifold and zero-thickness parts); the details are added in with textures (bump/normal, diffuse, specular, etc.). Also, "round" surfaces tend to be very faceted (the render engine averages the normals to produce a smooth-looking surface). Often it's best to just use the game asset as a template and completely remodel the thing from scratch. For example, here's the geometry of the Elder Scroll asset from Skyrim (top) and my build of it (bottom):

uiUl8wF.png

There is a way to convert bump maps into geometry, but (at least when I've tried it) it takes a lot of tweaking, and can make for a really dense mesh.

Feel free to show us your current modeling projects or prints as well!

Let's see... apart from the growing pile of things I've printed but haven't gotten around to sanding and painting yet, I'm working on the Varon-T Disruptor from Star Trek: TNG (almost finished with the model, just have to slice it up in a logical fashion for best quality printing and ease of painting):

JrDtJd4.png

the Noisy Cricket from Men in Black (still in the early stages of this one):

qz2vSGU.png

And a digital set (and, eventually, costume pieces and props that will be 3D-printed) for a music video, set in a Fallout Vault:

3qWBOH6.png

Still working on the geometry for the set, haven't even begun texturing it yet. But I'll definitely be using the Stimpak prop I modeled and printed:

ldlgR7N.jpg

Monoprice Maker Select here (rebranded Wanhao i3). Haven't made any cosplay items yet, but I have a few in mind. I plan on making a wearable Ironman ARC reactor with an attachable back for display purposes. There's files for either the wearable or the full display, I just need to modify to make what I have in mind so I can replace the modified taplight I used for my Tony Stark costume last Halloween.

I'm also planning on printing a few Indiana Jones relics for display and to fill in my satchel when wearing that costume.

All of this of course will be after I finish up a few "practical" prints first after all the time spent printing upgrades to the printer itself!

I was surprised that there wasn't a whole section dedicated to this!

I've got 3 printers running at present:
- Formlabs Form2 SLA printer
- Folgertech FT-5 FDM printer
- Folgertech 2020 i3 printer that I've rebuilt to be bigger/better/faster :)

Things I've printed so far:

BB-8, files from the BB-8 builders club:

IMG_3533.jpg

TFA X wing pilot chest box and blaster from my own models:
IMG_5042.JPG

And most of my Sandtrooper backpack. The frame, hose, main boxes, tube and tupperware lid are sourced from other places. The rest of the pack is printed from my own models:

IMG_4609.jpg

Anything I've modeled is freely shared on thingiverse.

I have been thinking about doing the raiders of the lost ark fertility idol myself but from what I can see it's going to be a massive print. The way I see it I can slice the idol into two parts and print the top and bottom and join it or just decrease the size ever so little to get the whole thing to print on my 200x200x200 bed.

I think that it was going to take a stupid amount of time to print as well from memory, I might have to do it just for ****s and giggles!

Has anyone actually printed one of them off yet?

Maximushaydos.

The reason I bought my printer for printing props and what's not. At the minute running a Wanhao i3, which I've modded quite a lot as you do. I've no pictures of any I've printed handy at the minute, however I have printed such things as: The Last Word (Destiny), Reapers Gun (Overwatch), Mercy's Staff (Overwatch), Hunters Blade (Destiny), etc etc and then little bits and pieces for various armours. I've only started modelling myself so can make pretty simple things using 123D however I think there's only so far that program can be taken before you need to switch to something a little more advanced. For anything highly detailed or requiring sculpting I will outsource that to someone else, however from experience this can be price with stupid expensive quotes.

I'm about a year ahead of a bunch of you, and to keep you pointed in the right direction, I'll offer some comments. But in truth, each bullet involves a substantial amount of research and experience with your printer, or rather, the software tool chain from model and/or conception to the printer.

1. Thingiverse does not insist on their "things" being printable. Myminifactory does. Keep that in mind. I downloaded a Star Trek Enterprise Bridge from thingiverse. Simplify3D told me it wouldn't fit on my printer. Hmm... why? Cuz the model was 32 meters across. Yup, full size. Scaling objects is one of the first skills you should master in the CAD/Slicer/Printer sequence.

2. Finding good models for printing Cosplay props is tricky. I've successfully printed a Star Trek Phaser Rifle and a Halo Covenant Carbine. Not saying I'm an expert now, and I had NO skills when I first started printing. I was happily printing components to the Phaser Rifle until I ran into an STL that wouldn't fit on the printer. (Yup, from thingiverse). First I had to figure out how to chop up the STL file, secondly, I learned how to place the sub-component so it would successfully print. And this was just chopping parts in half.

3. Phaser rifle tested my skills in terms of successful prints. I got every issue imaginable. Base (where the print lays on the build plate) print warping, underhangs requiring supports, filament selection, nozzle clogs, broken stepper motor, build plate preparation, buying aftermarket build plate/s. The biggest issue is if you have a complex print more than 1 cm tall and occupies more than 50% of the build plate, either by surface area or in either of its width or length dimensions, you're going to get warping with PLA. After changing filament brands, careful note taking on temperatures, buying an aftermarket build plate, I was able to successfully print the main body of the phaser rifle. Oh, and after carefully cutting the STL file into sub-components and arranging each print on the build plate for highest likelihood of a successful print.

4. Warping is a bitch. I had been printing for months, thinking my parts were perfect. After the phaser rifle exercise, I discovered that some parts had a tiny, but noticeable warp in the corners, even with my go to filament (Makergear black PLA). Half a millimeter is amplified when you butt parts up to each other, and you now have 1mm gap between them. If you plan on just printing, gluing, gap filling, and painting, this is less of an issue.

5.Even projects that are guaranteed to print, as the Halo Covenant Carbine came from myminifactory, there can still be challenges. There is a big part that is the equivalent of the receiver body on a human weapon, that consumes alot of filament and print time, occupies a large fraction of the build volume, needs tweaking of the build support configuration in the slicer so the bottom of the print is not one big mass of support material, and does not have one surface that is truly flat, so you have a solid connection between the print and bulid plate (meaning warping issues). I used an entire spool of filament understanding how to resolve print warping on the phaser rifle. I used most of a spool figuring out how to arrange parts for the Covenant Carbine. Maybe I should just plan on glue, gap fill, and paint.

6. My hobby background is in scratchbuilding, and I really like it when details "pop." So for those folks who have sculpted a Cosplay weapon out of a hunk of pine, or scratchbuilt a weapon, produced molds, and are casting resin copies, my hat is off to you. I've seen amazing models on this forum. 3D printing would suggest one should be able to take a CAD model, and make changes to it, like, making the safety on a prop rifle operable, or heck, the trigger work. But as was observed above, many of the game source files are not sufficiently sophisticated to make that a reality. So think carefully about your goals for any project.

Here are a couple of things that I am working on at the moment.

The first is my Auto 9 from Robocop (1987 version) I have printed this with about 30% infill from memory and it was printed in 3 sections. The handles being two completely separate sections and the extended barrel section being another. It took around 30 hours to print in total (give or take) and was printed at .02 layer height. I have started filling the joining gaps as you can see and have sanded it to 240 wet and dry at this stage. Paint on this will be fairly simple as I am going matte black with no battle damage or anything like that (Purely as I have no skills when it comes to paint!)

This next one is the infamous Star Lord's Blasters. I have also printed out his rockets for his boots and belt buckle as well. I just have to glue the rockets together. I have sanded these bad boys to 600 wet and dry and have filled the gaps with auto filler. I am really happy with how they came out and will need to get the painted to finalise them. As I said above I am horrible at painting stuff so I will have to find a good painter around my area in Australia and let them do it.

I am in the middle of printing out a revolver from Overwatch and will start printing out the key from Goonies in the next few days, that one is going to take around 14 hours and is pretty well 200mm long from what I have seen on my XYZWare program. I am really looking forward to printing the key out as Goonie was one of my favourite childhood movies.

I did manage to find a good few Indiana Jones prints as well which I am really excited to print and print (minimal paint for the idol lol)

Kind regards,
Maximus

It can be a real chore, depending on the model. Game assets are usually very simple geometry (and not made with 3D printing in mind, so there's usually a lot of non-manifold and zero-thickness parts); the details are added in with textures (bump/normal, diffuse, specular, etc.). Also, "round" surfaces tend to be very faceted (the render engine averages the normals to produce a smooth-looking surface). Often it's best to just use the game asset as a template and completely remodel the thing from scratch. For example, here's the geometry of the Elder Scroll asset from Skyrim (top) and my build of it (bottom):

View attachment 707813

The elder scroll is really really cool. Quick question. I model everything in Blender in meters, yet when I export a 3d model as stl to import into Cura, it appears really tiny on the bed and Cura has to scale the model up by 100000%. How do I maintain scale when I export? Any idea? Thanks in advance.

How do I maintain scale when I export?

Yeah, that is a constant irritant. I've also got my scene units set to metric, and when I export to STL, I have to remember to set the "Scale" field to 1000.

Huh... just had a look at that setting for probably the first time since I set it to metric, and things have changed a bit. Looks like around version 2.74, they added a "Scale" field in the scene settings, and 2.78 added a "Presets" dropdown that'll let you choose millimeters as your default unit (which sets the unit scale to 0.001); maybe that would get rid of the need to remember to upscale during export.

My Overwatch McCree's Revolver is starting to take shape! This is all just sitting very basically together at the moment as it's all just off the build plate with no sanding or modifications to make it fit together. This gun is massive at around 15 inches once finished. I am in the middle of printing the top section now and then I just have some more small detail work to go.

2b30537859f76cfd1105d54e5dc184a3.jpg

a814f633d1aaaece254565f2a4f5167f.jpg

I have a post with tons of details but here is my Harley Quinn popgun full 3D print with a few wood replacement parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back