I saw Adam Ant last night

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Adam Ant was a rock god to me in the early 80's while I was in high school. I thought he was the greatest (well, him and Prince). Mostly when he was with the Ants but even after they split up I followed him and he made Strip and Puss n Boots at which point I tuned out. It just didn't have that underground punk feel anymore and just started sounding like sappy pop. I stopped listening to him and moved on.
Fast forward 30 years. A fellow RPFer and his wife found that Adam Ant was coming to the DFW area for a performance and he seemed to recall that I used to like him. He bought us tickets then asked if we wanted to go. My first thought was, "Is that guy still ALIVE?!...and still performing?!"
Now, I saw him in concert 30 years ago and it was pretty darn good! So I thought, how bad can it be, right? Part of me was terrified that if I go he would be so bad that it would sully my image of what I remembered. But, tickets were bought, I was available and I hadn't been to a concert in years so, sure, let's go and see what happens.
The show was sold out (which amazed me!) and everybody was really excited. Turns out, the show was really, really good! They sounded great! They still had duel drummers and the sound was tight! He did mostly Kings of the Wild Fronier era and a couple of covers but it was a fantastic sound and quite a bit of fun. My wife who went and had no idea who he was LOVED the show! This show was better than the show I saw 30 years ago while in his hey day. I gotta say, the man has still got it.
Hell, I even bought a t-shirt!

just wanted to share.
That's all. :D

Good to hear

I had Kings of the Wild Frontier album...hats all I used to listen to....but went off them during the Prince Charming stuff

J

Sounds like a good concert to go see. Can't hurt to go check out old acts even if they are not close to being big anymore.

Adam Ant's Michael Jackson story is great. If you ever wondered why Jackson wore such cool jackets. It's all cause of him being a Adam Ant fan.

I had two of his albums and always enjoyed them. I never saw him live, but I remember seeing him and the Ants performing on some tv show and while I was quite familiar with a twin guitar attack, I had never seen a twin drum attack. I thought that was just as cool as all get out.

Saw him a couple of years ago when he started touring again and he was really good and had a great time in the mosh pit with the other old farts. Tons of bands do the nostalgia tours here in the UK and Adam is usually one of the better ones, trouble is after "Friend or Foe " his stuff started going off the boil.

I've always wondered, was there some particular meaning to Picasso Visits The Planet of the Apes? More than just the title?

Glad to hear he bounced back from his issues, he's another one who was diagnosed with bipolar when there wasn't much treatment for it. I love these 80s acts are selling out while the crap bands from these days just whine they can't sell out concerts.

I had seen him a couple times. Most notably in a triple header new years concert with The Village People opening, thhen Adam Ant, then Duran Duran at the Forum. That may have been 20+ years ago though. Not long after that he was doing an in store acoustic at the Virgin Megastore in Hollywood. A friend had been working there so we were talking with him in the back room. In his own words he was ready to pack it in for good back then for personal reasons which have since become public. Its a trip meeting the musicians you grew up with. Just dont find out what many of those songs are actually about or whom. The myth is always more interesting than the truth.

I saw Adam Ant about 3 years ago,in a very small venue,real good gig,met the band after.I was into all the early Adam and the ants stuff from Dirk wears white sox onwards .Years ago(over 10) i actually bumped into him in Knightsbridge,he is a real nice bloke

I am a big fan:) ant.jpg

What a great experience. Some bands/ musicians just have got that elusive "it" factor even after all those years. Thanks for sharing your story!

Ha miss the old 80's re-launch tours from the UK....saw ABC, Human League and Culture Club all together a few years back...was amazing.

Went to a Morrissey gig here in HK a few months back (he's my hero), and was amazed with the number of younger locals that were there.....now we get Elton John here every year and Canto-pop is an acquired taste , so we are seriously lacking decent music for sure but the Mozzfather following was still a surprise.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back