Bandai 1/48 a-wing

astroboy

Master Member
Hi guys, after being inspired by an amazing build posted recently, I too, decided to turn this into a 1/48.

I'm using the rear gunner from the snowspeeder kit. I realize that the costume is different, but I'm not too concerned.

Anyway, I whittled it all down and it fits perfectly

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If X and Y-Wing pilots can share the same flight suit, why not A-Wing pilots too, right? That Bandai snowspeeder pilot has some nice detail on it. I still laugh when I see that A-Wing pilot though. The legs seem to be a different scale to the rest of him. I look forward to more updates.

Ha! I just pointed JohnJo back towards this thread since we're discussing just how good a 1/48 scale A-wing the Bandai kit makes...
R/ Robert

It sure does look more like the studio model proportions

While I know the official numbers have changed, I still think they are wrong. It's just something we will have to live with. Maybe if Revell ever puts out a box scale pocket version it might be close to 1/72 :p

I really don't trust official canon stuff either. In my mind, even officially sanctioned tech guides are fanfic.

So I just want to make one that works with the studio model.

I really don't trust official canon stuff either. In my mind, even officially sanctioned tech guides are fanfic.

So I just want to make one that works with the studio model.

To my mind, there are two scenarios with regards to the "scale" of the filming models. One is where there is a full size element in the design that provides a reliable "yardstick". This is the case with any of the ships with an Astromech showing. A droid dome provides an exact connection to the real world size of the model design since the R2D2 dome has been measured very accurately by the droid prop builders. Lacking something that accurate, then perhaps a figure is depicted and can then be used though this is a 'fail' for the A-Wing due to the filming miniature's overly large figure, of unknown scale. For the A-Wing, we have the in-cockpit view that shows the bulkhead right near behind the actor which provides a good impression of the size of that specific cross section. Hence the pretty consistent interpretations of approximate kit scales.

The other situation is when there is no full sized element to work with such as the case with the B-Wing, which only ever appeared in model form. In this specific case, however, the pilot figure is a known kit component (from a 1/32 scale F-14) so it is possible to set the "real" size by working with measurements of the filming model as a 1/32 scale model.
So if we're building models of the "models", we can often derive appropriate 'full size' dimensions - with well known obvious exceptions such as TIE fighters (which have no model element to connect to a 'real size' feature) and the Millennium Falcon which suffered from multiple miniature versions. To complicate the issue is the way most (all?) full size props tend to be undersized when compared to the miniature depictions. Sometimes, it is a matter of taking your best guess since that is all you can do. As long as there is a reasonable rational to the 'scaling analysis', why not? I suppose that is part of the fun... right?
;^P

Regards, Robert

Last edited:
That is awesome. I'm definitely going to try that whenever I get around to my kit sitting there gathering dust waiting for me to get 6 other kits built.

More awesomer is the guy who did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJaqv6xIrek

Unbelievable. Just think.... any model we build and light - if we had the knowledge and skill of this fella, we can make our models come alive with moving parts, light and sound that we can power via USB and our cell phones!

That is awesome. I'm definitely going to try that whenever I get around to my kit sitting there gathering dust waiting for me to get 6 other kits built.

More awesomer is the guy who did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJaqv6xIrek

Unbelievable. Just think.... any model we build and light - if we had the knowledge and skill of this fella, we can make our models come alive with moving parts, light and sound that we can power via USB and our cell phones!

Woa! That is really cool!

as for Astroboy's mod.....that's awesome that it translates to 1/48 so easily. I for one don't have a problem with the larger scale of canon, but making it small like what we're use to is great as well. :D

Chris

Started with some basecoat. It's about 3/4 flat white and 1/4 as-20 (left over from my falcon)

I'm trying to do a bit of a black basing method, so we will see how it turns out. I might start in wth a very thinned out flat white over top at the end of the base coat. I don't want to start this off too grey

If X and Y-Wing pilots can share the same flight suit, why not A-Wing pilots too, right? That Bandai snowspeeder pilot has some nice detail on it. I still laugh when I see that A-Wing pilot though. The legs seem to be a different scale to the rest of him. I look forward to more updates.

Probably the only reason they were different, was so they could make another kind of action figure.

I definitely like the result of black basing method over the preshaded panel line method.

I've tried it recently with a couple of AT-STs I am doing and plan on using it for the 1/48 snowspeeder as well

I definitely like the result of black basing method over the preshaded panel line method.

I've tried it recently with a couple of AT-STs I am doing and plan on using it for the 1/48 snowspeeder as well

Absolutely. Not to disrespect other people and their methods, but I just don't see darkened panel lines on star wars ships. And I feel like the black basing method does half your work for your. It eliminates a need for any all-over oil wash. So you you can be more precise with your oil weathering

Okay, so I made the red. it was flat red and a couple of drops of medium blue and red brown.

However, my hull now looks too dark. Considering that this model won't get nearly as much weathering as the falcon, I might stick with it. Who knows?

I think I've convinced myself to redo the base coat. I will leave the current colour for some of the grey panelling. But I will try to get a more beige/white colour for the rest

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back