1982 AIRFIX Millennium Falcon build

Roostie

Hi guys, well, I'm officially a kid again as I managed to find me a genuine 1982 AIRFIX Millennium Falcon kit.

I'm looking to modify it a little, the 1982 kit was lacking in some detail for the cockpit and the engines areas as well as the rear grilles etc. I'd also quite like to get some LED lighting inside as well.

I'm just looking to set some fasthetic lighting for the cockpit, doesnt have to be 100% accurate. As you can see from the image, the rear cockpit clear plastic looks more like a submarine bulkhead.

From what I can make out, its a 1:78 scale. I was wondering if there was a repository of files available for 3D parts for the kit at all or does anyone have access to any? Would welcome any advice please.

falcon2.jpgcockpit.png

Hi.

I still have the box top picture from this early release of the Falcon :)
A friend of mine is just about to tackle a build of the later MPC/Ertl version of this kit and I'll suggest the same to you as I did to him, and that is to look at Shapeways site for 3D upgrade parts. They ain't always cheap but the ability to replace the original sidewalls and lower the whole kit to a more authentic proportion will really pay off. You can also get a number of other parts to improve accuracy such as cockpit interiors. Just do a search under MPC Falcon.

Good luck with your build.

Hi guys, well, I'm officially a kid again as I managed to find me a genuine 1982 AIRFIX Millennium Falcon kit.

I'm looking to modify it a little, the 1982 kit was lacking in some detail for the cockpit and the engines areas as well as the rear grilles etc. I'd also quite like to get some LED lighting inside as well.

I'm just looking to set some fasthetic lighting for the cockpit, doesnt have to be 100% accurate. As you can see from the image, the rear cockpit clear plastic looks more like a submarine bulkhead.

From what I can make out, its a 1:78 scale. I was wondering if there was a repository of files available for 3D parts for the kit at all or does anyone have access to any? Would welcome any advice please.

View attachment 706956View attachment 706957
It's the same as the MPC kit. Anything made for the MPC will fit. CultTVMan, Starship Modeler , Haystack Hair, Shapeways. Alll have parts available.
Dpn Mac.

Looking for engine detailing, I had a look around the shed, found these electrical connection blocks (chocolate blocks).

Removed the screws, brass inserts and applied a heat gun to get a curve and once lit, these should look good. just the right size too.

20170222_125050.jpg

Attachments

• 20170222_124952.jpg
    20170222_124952.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 194
  • 20170222_125022.jpg
    20170222_125022.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 20170222_125919.jpg
    20170222_125919.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 20170222_125930.jpg
    20170222_125930.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 166
Time for an update, spent most the time doing the base weathering and panels and also refitting the engines. I used the clear plastic panel thats was supplied, sanded it fown and used that as a diffuser for the row of 9v-12v blue LEDS I will be putting in.

6.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

A bit more base weathering and panels done, also a very rough test fit.

Created some led holders for the docking ports and a single orange 5mm LED comfortably lights all 4 of the docking lights now.

13.jpg16.jpg14.jpg

11.jpg17.jpg

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 163
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 197
Ok, well the electrical connectors work a treat as translucent engine nozzles. Here is a pic of the first led lighting test.

I dont want to pay out extortionate amounts for an engine grille from places like Shapeways etc, so Im looking to see if theres anything I can scavage to make one up or if anyone had a 3D printer that I can get an engine grille made up.

21.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back