Collapsible PVC Staff - Ideas needed.

SFPinkSmartie

Hello,

I am in the process of making a staff. I need it to be able to come apart, preferably three parts. The staff pole will be made of PVC pipe, with attached 3D printed parts.

Has anyone done something similar and care to share some wisdom?

I know of a few techniques:

Use a small PVC pipe and put it inside the bigger one - However I want something more secure.
Use pipe fittings - This is my preferred solution but I can't find straight join fittings.

I tried modelling my own for printing however I'm 60% sure that regardless of what it is printed in, it will snap.

pvc pipe jon.jpg

Thanks in advance.

There are plenty of other collapsible staff props - maybe something like Daredevils Billy Club?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/45/38/69/453869c2cd090452f295e54be9460880.jpg
So either telescopic on either end to give you a shortened overall staff, or with chain/cord running through the middle that allows you to collapse it?
Alternatively you could just cut grooves in to the end of the staff like this
https://d2t1xqejof9utc.cloudfront.net/screenshots/pics/02a119ab418f1f493ff6e825e110ffff/large.JPG ?

Some interesting ideas there. I like the idea of the cut out grooves.

I'm also thinking of revisiting my model, Removing the threaded screw and opening that bit up to fit a thread rod that will be locked into place by two nuts on the top and bottom of that piece. Then doing something similar on the other piece to allow the nuts to sit in place.

Could remodel your printed part with a hole down the middle to accept a steel rod for reinforcement.

Yeah that was the plan then I switched to using a wooden dowel instead. However I changed my model to accept a threaded rod regardless so I will have that for any future builds. So basically a nut is embedded in the top and bottom of the model to secure the thread rod and then on the other side it's the same. I think in theory it should work, I'll test it someday.

There are two types of PVC pipe - water pipe and electric conduits. Not sure which is which, but I think water measured by the ID and electrical is measured by OD.
Sometimes you can find pipes in both types were one slides into the other.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back