The Expanse Costume(s)

quicksonator

Hello all,

I am very new to the RPF but I've been blown away with everything here.
I love all things fantasy and sci-fi, and I've recently become obsessed with The Expanse, on SyFy. The costumes are amazing and feel so natural within the universe they have created, while also having a practicality that I feel we would use in those futuristic designs.

I like both iterations of the Martian Marine armor. It would be cool to build the tactical suit from season one and work my way up to the intricate armor they wear in season two. I'll probably do that after putting together the Belter costume, which is what I really, really want.

I'm starting with a weathered coverall jumpsuit with various patches (there are some vendors on eBay and etsy that make patches from the show), climbing/painting harness gear and holsters for space guns, and of course space guns. But Belters have to actually go into space right? I was working on a helmet out of EVA, and then I realized that they modify a 3M painting respirator some how for the Belter space helmets...probably end up with a hybrid of the two.

What I am trying to figure out is what to use for a space suit. I was thinking like a really, really big wetsuit, but I'd rather not. It just needs to be larger than the coverall and heavy duty like a fireman uniform. I'm gonna hit my local military surplus store to see if they have an old divers suit, space suit or fishing pants. Not sure how I'll replicate the pressure tubes lined within the suit.

What do you guys think? Any thoughts on the Belter space suit and/or helmet? Most of the costumes in the show were handmade by the costumers, so it would be nice to find a decent substitute, possibly a type of suit I haven't thought of.

I'll definitely post photos once I have some parts accumulated. I attached some reference shots I googled.

I'm not sure if I can reference another post but this one is regarding found props from the Expanse which could be helpful:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=252220&highlight=expanse

Thanks for reading this post!

Cheers,

Quicksonator

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 6,778
  • 4772531b6cf3a3d159965fab68821f69.jpg
    4772531b6cf3a3d159965fab68821f69.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 794
  • tumblr_o0e0cv8GHS1rsnip8o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o0e0cv8GHS1rsnip8o1_1280.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 720
  • The Expanse.jpg
    The Expanse.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 4,084
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,134
Check out the Tested video - especially the helmets. They used snowboard helmets as well as a 3M respirator system to create the flat front helmets. They're pricey but remove a lot of engineering for visor and shaping. I've considered this project as well. I'll be following this one closely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The P&K suits, and the new belter suits do seem like neoprene or wetsuit material, but that stuff is going to be hot, and will increase the likelihood of your visor fogging. The Tested videos say they're running air to the helmets and have cooling vests under some of the suits.

haha I have watched those videos probably 20 times by now. I am right there with you with the price being a little much, especially for something I should be able to replicate with crafting materials. But they look so good I'd rather not try to fake it!

I have to say I saw an Avasarala (in the green dress) at Orlando Megacon, and I was blown away.

It's a complex dress, and it was executed beautifully. And I didn't see any other Expanse costumes when I was there that day :(

Anonymous Avasarala, I salute you!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back