GREY 2 (Too) Another DaveG Y-Wing

Jamie M

Hi all. Long time lurker and recent member Jamie here. I love watching all the builds you guys do. The level of skill and dedication is off the charts !!

I was 7 when Starwars hit the cinema and was blown away. For me the Y-Wing has always been my second favourite bested only by the MF.

About 4 years ago i attempted to build my very own SS Y-Wing but it wasn't great and this is how it has stayed .....

IMG_2189.JPGIMG_2315.JPGIMG_2353.JPGIMG_2390.JPG

Then along came DaveG with the green leader open source project so i thought i would give it a go. So i got me a 3D printer and started the Journey ...

IMG_2956.JPGIMG_2957.JPGIMG_2955.JPG

More soon. Thank you for looking

Last edited:
Evening RPF'ers. A little update on my Y wing journey. As you can see i went my own way with the detailing. I've been using what Studio Kitbash referred to as the 5 key donor kits to give it that familiar and distinctive look and have followed my own path with the rest. Using several other donors like an M10 for the wing underside, a few items i found on shapeways, and some of Scotts and Daves 3-d items i fired off on the printer (thanks for these guys!!). I fired on some etching primer to see where i was at...IMG_2977.JPGIMG_2976.JPG
All looked good so done a quick layer of filler primer...
IMG_2988.JPGIMG_2989.JPG You may notice a genuine kettenkrad track link on the neck. Courtesy of Studio Kitbash. A top bloke!!

Added some pipes but was not happy with the look
IMG_3002.JPGIMG_2999.JPGIMG_3004.JPG

Thankyou for looking

Jamie

Last edited:
Excellent progress Jamie, really coming together nicely! I'd finish your old one too, It would look great as a slightly older version.

This looks completely awesome. Very clean, very nice attention to details, and very nice piping and nacelle-can-engine dressings. Inspiring, to be sure.

Looking great! Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Thanks Dave, that means a lot.

Very nice. I do love me some Y-wing.

Thanks. For a long time i thought i was the only one !

Excellent progress Jamie, really coming together nicely! I'd finish your old one too, It would look great as a slightly older version.

Thank you Mr Thumb. When you see the side by side you will understand why i ran out of steam and dumped it.

This looks completely awesome. Very clean, very nice attention to details, and very nice piping and nacelle-can-engine dressings. Inspiring, to be sure.

Thank you Sir Kitbash. Without your encouragement this would have never seen the light of day !!

Thank you to everyone who has stopped by to take a look. I really appreciate it.

I added plasticard detail to the forward fuselage and then decided to remove the pipes as i was not happy with them and got busy with some copper....

UCTE2081.jpgXHVD0774a.jpg

Next up is resizing and detailing the engine nozzles, fitting the thrust vectors, and a bit of fun with the canopy.

Thank you for looking,

Jamie

Ooh, I like the (all-too familiar) look of that "dead bird" in the background (hanging off the wall, like a trophy animal head) of those last two shots: is that the Y-Wing that never made it? The Y-Wing that could/shoulda/oughta but it didn't? Is that the Ugly Stepchild? You wouldn't BELIEVE how many of those I have in my basement! But do tell -- will you resurrect the one in the background, or simply let it remain as is as a reminder of lessons learned and ongoing spiritual humility? I'm almost MORE interested in seeing that one up close than the one that looks nearly flawless. And is that REAL copper? What'd you do, win the lottery? Or rob a boarded up house? Either way, it sure looks nice.

Ooh, I like the (all-too familiar) look of that "dead bird" in the background (hanging off the wall, like a trophy animal head) of those last two shots: is that the Y-Wing that never made it? The Y-Wing that could/shoulda/oughta but it didn't? Is that the Ugly Stepchild? You wouldn't BELIEVE how many of those I have in my basement! But do tell -- will you resurrect the one in the background, or simply let it remain as is as a reminder of lessons learned and ongoing spiritual humility? I'm almost MORE interested in seeing that one up close than the one that looks nearly flawless. And is that REAL copper? What'd you do, win the lottery? Or rob a boarded up house? Either way, it sure looks nice.

Haha yes it is truly dead. Maybe i will do a little tour of it at sometime as it has sparked so much interest. It is indeed real copper off the roll from fleabay. Interestingly it costs a fraction of the price it would be in plastistruct plus my thought is that when it's all painted up i could scrape a bit away to reveal all that lovely copperness. When you thread your build i too would like to see your dead ends !!

Good evening folks.

A small update on grey 2 from the weekend.

I reduced the length of the fins on the engine connectors by approx 10mm (file generously supplied by maxhebus) and added some detail.

IMG_3073.JPGIMG_3072.JPGIMG_3071.JPG

The cones are airfix saturn V (not vintage) with half round to add depth and the heat sinks are printed.

At this point i decided that the forward fuselage, cockpit canopy, and nacelles (with the exception of the clips) were pretty much complete so i shot some paint over them and applied the first stage of weathering.

IMG_3074.JPGIMG_3075.JPGIMG_3076.JPGIMG_3077.JPGIMG_3078.JPG

Still loads to do but really happy with the progress. Thankyou for looking.

Jamie

IMG_3071.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3073.JPG

IMG_3074.JPG

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a gorgeous paint job, and your battle-damage skills are most impressive. Love the triple layer effect, and personally prefer the "beaten and scraped" look over the "smeared and smudgy" look any day. On the LEM shroud/exhaust cans/heat sinks, don't forget to place them such that the one circular bit of the heatsink is facing inward/parrallel to the center. I just made a non-fixable mistake of this type inserting my exhaust shrouds, and WISH I could undo it.

Lovely. Just lovely.

Thank you !

LOVE the scuffed paint job. Looking great.

I think they gave the Y-Wings to the less able / experienced pilots so there would be more hanger / docking bruises. I will be striving to get a mix of ILM on screen effects and more realistic static model effects as i layer the weathering. (At least that is the plan)

That is a gorgeous paint job, and your battle-damage skills are most impressive. Love the triple layer effect, and personally prefer the "beaten and scraped" look over the "smeared and smudgy" look any day. On the LEM shroud/exhaust cans/heat sinks, don't forget to place them such that the one circular bit of the heatsink is facing inward/parrallel to the center. I just made a non-fixable mistake of this type inserting my exhaust shrouds, and WISH I could undo it.

Thanks again. Good tip on the heatsink i almost missed it. My exhausts will remain removable to access the lighting in the nacelles if i don't put too much paint on them and they get stuck !!

I think they gave the Y-Wings to the less able / experienced pilots so there would be more hanger / docking bruises.

And yet they put one of their front line fighters in the hands of an inexperienced farm boy! Go figure.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back