Weathering techniques

Ruskin

Hey everyone, I've been hanging around awhile, I've posted some stuff and now I need some advice. I'm going to be remaking my Altair costume from the first Assassin's Creed game, but I'm not sure about how I'd weather the robes. I've seen the tea soaking method, but that leaves everything with a brown tinge, where as the pics look more grey. I don't have access to an airbrush so any info you wizards have would be useful. Thanks!

altz_zps80a36a02.jpg 91c9e94147b4d1f9430c06d34484e2a5.jpg

For focused weathering, I like to brew a dark pot of coffee and cool it, then put it in a spray bottle. Wet the garment down so it is damp. Then spray along the bottom edges and places it would pick up dirt and stains (cuffs, knees, elbows and anything else). It has the advantage of not being paint so it won't get stiff and it will smell awesome at first! The coffee smell fades pretty quick.

I heard that for the Lord of The Rings films they would take dirt from wherever they were filming, mix it with wallpaper paste and put that on the costumes. This made it look like the person really lived in the location they were at.

As others here have said, put it mainly on locations that would get a lot of dirt, shoes, bottom of robes and pants, gloves/cuffs and any other areas where the character often contacts the ground (I'm not that familiar with Altair's mannerisms and movements, I didn't play AC1 that much). I should add that I've never made a costume or even any clothing, nor have I weathered any clothing, so take my advice with an extra helping of caution.

Hope that helps!

I saw a story posted somewhere that for the Broadway opening of "Sweeney Todd" the costume designer took Angela Lansbury's costume and pulled it though a dumpster. It may have looked lovely. Dame Lansbury refused to wear it...not even waiting for the truly lovely smells sure to erupt once it got under hot stage lighting.

(Not standard practice in any shop i ever worked around).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back