Disney STAR WARS ship design: Why it's ugly and how to fix it.

BLADE and BRUSH

That's right, the vehicle designs in both The Force Awakens and Rogue One were overwhelmingly disappointing. Given the response to the earlier thread, "What's up with modern ship design?", I'm clearly not alone in my assessment.

In the following video I identify and explain the two biggest problems with the new generation of vehicle designs. But, more importantly, I demonstrate how to mitigate these issues using the U-Wing as an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZJ9EVvcUE0&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by a moderator:
i like the ship that reys parents were leaving on, i also really liked the quad jumper.. Ties were fine to me, and the xwings i also enjoyed. i liked how they were smaller. kylo ren's star destroyer hmmmmm its ok, feels like 2 ships docked together but whatever its cool. other then that what other ships did we see?

the rebel solider B wing transport? i thought that was kind cool as well

In one iteration of the script of The Force Awakens, Maz's Castle and the Resistance's base were supposed to be on the same planet. That is supposedly why Leia's shuttle is so boxy - it was designed to be like a bus that moves only within the atmosphere, not to be a starship.

There would be too much work to even bother fan-editing these movies ...

They can't help it, they're getting all their craft from Enterprise Rent-a-ship.

They'll never equal the design of the Y-wing, either McQuarrie's original painting (and resulting maquette), or the final model. You'd think it was a nightmare in front of a blue screen, but I never noticed in the original Star Wars (1977).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't include Rogue One, but I agree about TFA. The only good designs in TFA were the Star Destroyer and X-Wing. The only thing that was a minor RO concern was the Mon Cal ship with the bridge hanging down on a blade.

I feel that its hard to like the new ships as much after liking the older ones for so long. A lot of the newer ones are mostly just the older ships redesigned. Like the imperial shuttle with the 3 wings. Kylo Ren's ship is basically a copy in style, but upside down and with 2 wings. I still like the shuttle much better.
I wonder though, are they using familiar ship designs for nostalgic reasons, or because they can't come up with something better?

Hey, at the very beginning of that video! I've mentioned, at least three times on this board, how I had read about Doug Chiang saying he didn't like the designs of some of the original SW ships, that he wanted them done his own way. I was pretty much told I was mistaken about what I read and that he loved all those designs. I knew I read or heard that somewhere!

Anyway, good job on your video, but as someone already stated, this is entirely up to personal taste. Personally, I didn't have any problem with the U-wing the way it was in the move, but each to his own.

I was more upset about those big giant "gears" on the TIE fighters.

Overall I thought the ship designs were fine in both films. The only vehicle I really didn't like was Rey's popsicle speeder.

I am definitely a fan of the original over your "fixed" one in the video demonstration. It is also a lot easier to modify an existing design.. if you wanted to prove a point, designing your own ships may have served you better.

That's right, the vehicle designs in both The Force Awakens and Rogue One were overwhelmingly disappointing. Given the response to the earlier thread, "What's up with modern ship design?", I'm clearly not alone in my assessment.

In the following video I identify and explain the two biggest problems with the new generation of vehicle designs. But, more importantly, I demonstrate how to mitigate these issues using the U-Wing as an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZJ9EVvcUE0&feature=youtu.be
I've been saying those things about the u-wing since I first saw it!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Just playing devil's advocate here:

The Prequels had more curved and stylistic designs up to the Clone Wars where form gave way to function. This more functional look lasted through E6, ROTJ and really became known as the classic Star Wars "used universe" look. X-Wings, TIEs, Falcon, etc.

E7, TFA kept that functional look going. I think that was Disney and JJs pandering to the OT. R1 had to keep that look for continuity.

Going forward with E8, it would be nice for Disney & Lucasfilm to challenge themselves and think out of the box, but don't think that will happen.

Disney is all about playing it safe unfortunately... wish to be proved wrong. This is where I have to give George Lucas props for originality and taking bold risks. Ultimately that's why SW was such a huge success back in 77!

Just playing devil's advocate here:

The Prequels had more curved and stylistic designs up to the Clone Wars where form gave way to function. This more functional look lasted through E6, ROTJ and really became known as the classic Star Wars "used universe" look. X-Wings, TIEs, Falcon, etc.

E7, TFA kept that functional look going. I think that was Disney and JJs pandering to the OT. R1 had to keep that look for continuity.

Going forward with E8, it would be nice for Disney & Lucasfilm to challenge themselves and think out of the box, but don't think that will happen.

Disney is all about playing it safe unfortunately... wish to be proved wrong. This is where I have to give George Lucas props for originality and taking bold risks. Ultimately that's why SW was such a huge success back in 77!
I would love to see a full list of pandering moments in the Disney verse.

Even that recently released deleted scene of cheque ripping the guys arm off. Of right. We get it. Han said something about that is 1977

I would love to see a full list of pandering moments in the Disney verse.

Even that recently released deleted scene of cheque ripping the guys arm off. Of right. We get it. Han said something about that is 1977

Ironically that was the scene I really wanted too see happen. Probably too risky for Disney's soccer-mom focus group.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back