Logan's Run - The Animated Series - Concept Gun Design

Doppelganger01

Sr Member
In the past year I have been unable to work in a shop environment, due to some minor respiratory issues, and have not been able to work on my practical prop projects. In the meantime, I have resigned myself to digital prop-making and creating a back-log of digital files for printing one day, when I can return to the shop. I have a long wish list, that dates back decades. Here is a concept gun design for Logan's Run - The Animated Series. Of course, there was no animated series, but it's fun to imagine, what if there had been.

3rd Party Hosting restored.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ricklross/albums/72157676632458753

http://kipple-maker01.deviantart.com/gallery/

Original Concept Sketch 2012

Rick

Last edited:
That was an emotional rollercoaster! You had me believing that I'd totally missed a Logan's Run Animated Series for a minute there.

Really beautiful work. Now how do we go about commissioning a Logan's Run Animated Series?

Looks good so whats the backstory on the gun?

Does it fire different rounds as in the book, or just Jet-Glo gas as in the Movie?

That's a good look, I see where you're going. Keep in mind functional guns don't have so many peaks and valleys and chunky edges that can snag on holsters and clothing. A little more streamlined would be awesome.

But still a great visualization. Well done.

wow me too I was thinking Where do i watch it?

Cool design and logical evolution. If hollywood ever gets around to the remake, that's the look i would expect.

That was an emotional rollercoaster! You had me believing that I'd totally missed a Logan's Run Animated Series for a minute there.

Really beautiful work. Now how do we go about commissioning a Logan's Run Animated Series?

Thank you! Yes, I have always thought this would have made a good animated series. Perhaps somewhere in the multiverse it already exist. Where are Rick and Morty when you need them? :)

Looks good so whats the backstory on the gun?

Does it fire different rounds as in the book, or just Jet-Glo gas as in the Movie?

Thank you! Actually this one is meant to be a more developed version of the film gun next to it. So basically, it's just a fancy flame gun. I am currently building my animated concept for the DS Gun from the books. I will add it here in a few days.

That's a good look, I see where you're going. Keep in mind functional guns don't have so many peaks and valleys and chunky edges that can snag on holsters and clothing. A little more streamlined would be awesome.

But still a great visualization. Well done.

Thank you! Agreed regarding the design. I intended for this to be an extremely exaggerated version of the gun, which runs counter to old cell animation logic. This design would actually be more suitable for the comic/graphic novel series. As a kid, I was very underwhelmed by how Filmation drew the Star Trek phasers in the early 70's. It seemed to me, at the time, that they based their designs for the phaser, communicator, and tricorder on the AMT/ERTL Exploration Set model kit and not the actual TOS props so much. But, it's clear to me now that there were budget issues during its production, especially considering how often they used the running silhouette and other money saving cell animation techniques. I will add a real-world version to my list to do in the future.

Last edited:
wow me too I was thinking Where do i watch it?

Cool design and logical evolution. If hollywood ever gets around to the remake, that's the look i would expect.

Thank you very much!

Sorry for the multiple posts. I cannot get my multi-quote feature to work without erasing the previous quote and response.

i want one! Can I 3d print it?

Thank you! I have not fine-tuned the 3dm files yet for 3D printing. I will do that once I finish creating all my projects digitally. Then create all the stl files. It is my hope to eventually print all the parts of a selected few of my projects and then work out how I will proceed with making resin castings for kits. At present, my respiratory system is highly sensitive to chemicals and air suspended particulate matter. I will keep you posted how this works out. It's been my experience, though, whenever I make definite public statements about my projects, life steps in and my projects get put on hold (36" 3D Print Spinner Project, Gaff Concept Guns, Suppressed PKD-II, Zhora Guns, etc.) Keep your fingers crossed.

whoa!!! rick, that's amazing!! great design!!

and I wish there was an animated LR too lol

Thank you, John!

I love it! very cool. I'd also like to see a more streamlined version too.

Thank you very much! I have added a real-world version to my list. I will let the animated version stay as is, but I will explore more curvilinear shapes for the real-world version.

Amazing, your guns are just splendid. Any chance you plan to reproduce some of your kits again :)? Not sure how many are in 3D.

Last edited:
That animated gun is wonderful and a great design.....BUT, I also really LOVE your version of the classic movie DS gun !!! It looks like the Rolls Royce of guns :thumbsup

That gun render is simply astounding. Would love some more shots and angles of that beautiful piece.

Thank you! Once I rework the design of the Gaff gun a bit, I will render it in KeyShot and post new images of it in the Gaff Concept Gun thread.

Amazing, your guns are just splendid. Any chance you plan to reproduce some of your kits again :)? Not sure how many are in 3D.

Thank you! At present all of my PKD kit patterns are in storage. If I am able to return to the shop one day, I will offer all of my kits on a limited basis.

That animated gun is wonderful and a great design.....BUT, I also really LOVE your version of the classic movie DS gun !!! It looks like the Rolls Royce of guns :thumbsup

Thank you very much!

Rick

Rick,

So good to hear from you. And seeing new work from you rocks.

I've always loved the DS guns. Once again, just like in the Blade Runner universe, you've added your spin and drawn in another eager customer.

Breath easy.

Ted.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back