GRAFLEX Question... Sort of...

Edraven99

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey gang,

For those of you that have 'modded' a Graflex tube; i.e. modify a 4-cell, etc. what tool did you use to cut the tube?

Or more specifically, what Dremel bit did you use? (pictures would be super helpful because I'm completely tool illiterate lol)

I know I'm being super anal but I've been debating about modifying my 3-cell bottom to "move" my stamp on my Folmer New York by extending the grooves at the top.

Currently if I leave it as is, my Kobold clip would cover the 'New York' regardless of how I turn the tube.

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

I used a drill to make the far end of the slot. Then a Black and Decker rotary tool I bought from Walmart. I'm on my second one in 10 years. Fits most of the Dremel tools and has variable speeds.

I used one of these on my 4 cell:
1Set-Rotary-Tool-Circular-Saw-Blades-Cutting-Wheel.jpg

As was mentioned, a rotary tool with a cutting disc. Should take care of things for the most part. Anything else can be handled with a thick file.

Edraven99 can I see your cuts? I am about to attempt the same. Do you detect any issues with structural integrity of the clamp/back end since making the mod?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Edraven99 can I see your cuts? I am about to attempt the same. Do you detect any issues with structural integrity of the clamp/back end since making the mod?

I'll take some picks for you when I get home tonight Andy. Structural integrity is pretty good... I made sure that I didn't go too deep in my lengthening of the grooves...

JEEPERS!!! Those're some long cuts there Ed! I had it in my mind that you were going to recreate the "J" cuts entirely so that you'd have ended up with 4 of them. I'd be so afraid of swinging it too hard with it like that. It's really not wobbly with it that thin?

There's still a lot of intact area there. I see why it is still very secure when locked and held in by the clamp. Thanks, David.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back