Andorian Antennae

LarryD

Wonderful patrons of the RPF I am assisting a friend in the fabrication of some andorian antennae complete with motion, and I was wondering if anyone knew how they did the mech for the Andorians in enterprise. My first thought was one of those wire tentacle mechs like the alien chest burster but I am having trouble with balancing ease of the core to bend with being overly floppy. Does anyone have any suggestions of what might work and how I might hide the cables and electronics?

Thanks.

http://movies.stackexchange.com/que...ndorians-skin-effects-in-star-trek-enterprise

This link explains a bit about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, first off thanks for the link. The fact that there is only a cable going down to the unknown box makes me think that the main actuation might actually be based on flexinol (trade name for a nitinol wire that has been treated) when you run a current through that it will contract with some impressive force so it could be pulling the cables on the antennae or it could be the cables.

I saw a reference to cables running down the back thru the hair as well. Could have been some simple mechanism. I'd consider a brake cable mech that could be operated by the actor - simple to hide and operate.

I saw a reference to cables running down the back thru the hair as well. Could have been some simple mechanism. I'd consider a brake cable mech that could be operated by the actor - simple to hide and operate.

the photo in the link you shared shows what appears to be only a ribbon cable and since there are no giant bulges from servos so I do not think it is a simple break cable mech.

Last edited:
the photo in the link you shared shows what appears to be only a ribbon cable and sense there are no giant bulges from servos so I do not think it is a simple break cable mech.

Youre definitely right - I was thinking a cable mech could work if the electronics route didn't pan out.

Youre definitely right - I was thinking a cable mech could work if the electronics route didn't pan out.

i am going to look a bit into the actuator wire route because it would certainly be the lowest profile/easiest to hide method that I can think of. Making a brake cable mech small enough is certainly achievable but it would be a pain to route all of the cables for two antenna to the servos.

My only concern with the actuator wire is the current requirement.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back