The Black Hole Sentry Helmet Build

Tildane

G'day all, I put up a post to buy a Sentry robot helmet from "The Black Hole", but sadly there don't seem to be any available. So it's back to the work bench I'm afraid.
For all those youngens out there ( but lets face it, if you're interested in this you are probably of that mature time when the world of Sci Fi legends was born), The Black Hole is a Disney film from 1979 that is simply amazing and iconic.

It's dark themes produced the likes of V.I.N.CENT and Maximilian, Vincent.jpgmaximilian-img.jpg two of the best designed robots in history (other robots are available) and the beautiful Cygnus, U_S_S__Cygnus_Promo_09.jpga space ship built from scaffolding.

And then there were the Sentry Robots.Sentry_Robot_Promo_11.jpg

The list goes on so if you haven't seen the film do yourself a favour.

Started the huge task of making a Sentry.Sentry front.jpg First to rough it out in clay.Clay side.jpg BTW there are some amazing pictures of the plaster master from the film right here on thrpf. http://www.therpf.com/gallery/g538-black-hole-2c-the.html
I'm just using NewClay but I printed out a photo of the front of the helmet and cut out a shape to start building from. Once I'm happy the next stage is a suicide mould from which I will make the fiberglass positive.

- - - Updated - - -

Suicide mould made and destroyed. Here is my new base. Fibre glass front.jpgFibre glass angle.jpgFibre glass top.jpg

Now the fun begins. Lots and lots and lots of sanding and filling.

For ease of sanding those lovelly flat panels I have broken it up.WP_20170209_001[1].jpgWP_20170209_002[1].jpgI'm still thinking of making a vac formed version as you can get some really nice rounded edges and clean lines. Sanding is a pain though.

I've given it a coat of spray putty so I can see the flaws better.DSC_0027[1].JPGDSC_0026[1].JPGyou know what that means, more sanding and filling.

Here he is in the final stages.DSC_0076.JPGDSC_0077.JPGI still have to build a neck
DSC_0078.JPGDSC_0079.JPGI'm having difficulty getting the lines/indents straight so if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

The Black Hole is a Disney film from 1979 that is simply amazing and iconic.

I had to chuckle because I'm not sure how many of us share that sentiment, but I am totally with you, my friend. An underappreciated film that, in the midst of a sci-fi revolution that had some real heavyweights, seemed to get lost in the shuffle a bit.

Looking forward to watching your progress!

DSC_0083[1].JPGDSC_0082[1].JPGI got excited again and gave it a paint. There happened to be one paint colour in the shop that looked quite good.

That one was pretty dark one for being a Disney picture. Probably messed me up a bit as kid, but oh well.

And the WORST ending ever in a "science fiction" movie.

Angels? The "baddies" burning in hell?!? Gimme a break.

Loved that bit. The crew walking in their familiar mourning style through the fires of hell. Maximilian enshrining Reinhardt as an idle forever. The crystal arches and the human spirit passing through, wow! All in their minds. A personal hell and triumph of the spirit, beautiful. And I was only a kid at the time and it maid perfect sense.

Now this thread really took my attention!

I always wanted a full replica costume of the Sentry since I saw the film the very first time.

I also own the original master mold now which is still in restoration by fellow prop maker.

Please keep up your great work!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back