Iron Man MkIV: Foam costume in 8 weeks for a 13yr old... Can I do it?

Ruglud

Did a quick showcase of this in my Foam Stormtrooper build over on the Star Wars board, but here's the rest.

This costume is for my 13 year old son, and is for a fancy dress party being held in just over 8 weeks. So, I have this to make now as well as finishing my Stormtrooper (for the same party...).

I printed the templates (Mk IV templates from robo3687 / JFCustoms & Sharkhead7854 helmet) at 90% which seems to fit him quite well... As with my stormtrooper, this is mainly made from 6.5mm exercise mats from Decathlon. For finer detail, I've used 1.5mm craft foam. For the soles on the boots I used 10mm eva foam floor mats - as mentioned above, all stuck together with hot melt glue...

I made the helmet last weekend, so this weekend I moved on to the the boots, body brace and chest. Have run out of glue sticks now though, so no more progress until I get some more (ordered and due to arrive mid / end of the week...)

Pieces completed so far:
P1000754_zpsibc6drna.png

Boots:
P1000755_zpsubxtv9eb.png

Chest:
P1000756_zpssmhabms9.png

P1000757_zpsrkoqmmhl.png

Body brace rear detail:
P1000760_zpssiabcjbv.png

Helmet:
P1000758_zpsuvardkiq.png

P1000759_zpsydocluzf.png

Will post updates once I get more glue sticks (may also need to order some more exercise mats !

Some more progress this weekend;

First up, I learnt that not all glue sticks are created equally... Purchased a job lot on ebay, but a touch too thin for my glue gun (Bostik hobby type) and it's a bit of work getting them to go through initially... I guess you get what you pay for really...

Back armour - used the thicker 12mm foam for the collar part as it gave more shape and structure to this piece
P1000763_zpsjck4s8q3.jpg

P1000761_zpsekqfwy2j.jpg

Codpiece...
P1000764_zps1qlui56o.jpg

Hands/gloves - Using a pair of fingerless cycling gloves underneath which give some additional padding and shape. These are made from the thin craft foam and currently just stuck together with double sided sticky tape- I will go back though and properly glue once I'm happy with them
P1000765_zps1vrbk2py.jpg

I've also bought a cheap (£1.00) torch - the type that straps to your forehead, and put some filters and an Arc Reactor pattern behind the lense - you can see it alongside the hands...

For the hand repulsors, I've bought two LED bike lights (again, £1.00 for the pair) and will rework them to fit the space - they have two settings, constant on and flash, so gives my son a choice of lighting effects with them..

Last edited:
I have done this also a few years back for my son, he was 5 years old. I think I did it in about 8 to 10 weeks. I did not pain it though, I used eva yellow and red eva foam.2015-02-15 12.39.09.jpg

Hah, that's awesome bitbull

Some updates from a days work...

Shoulder bells
P1000767_zpsojvwairu.jpg

P1000768_zpsc5nnajyb.jpg

Abs and torso added to the codpiece. Abs are made from 1mm craft foam and I'll probably use velcro to attach one side to make it easier to put them on - need to get my son to test fit them in the morning...
P1000769_zpspaao69tz.jpg

P1000771_zpsvre3fuw7.jpg

P1000770_zps3xwz2psn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work so far :thumbsup will this be a father-son project where you both wear a suit to a comic con?
If so,what will yours be?

Great work so far :thumbsup will this be a father-son project where you both wear a suit to a comic con?
If so,what will yours be?

It's for a family party in April with a Disney fancy dress theme... I'm going to be going as a Stormtrooper which I'm also working on, although have focused on Iron Man for the time being as it's a more involved project...

Full suit layed out (dodgy photos though :( )
P1000775_zpspzfj3ul8.jpg

P1000779_zpsimbj78hg.jpg

P1000780_zpso6b92jlg.jpg

Close-ups...

Legs
P1000777_zpsgofqxj83.jpg

P1000778_zpsww5udud1.jpg

Arms
P1000776_zps3zh1jcns.jpg

P1000781_zpsewuzihy8.jpg

Next stage is to trim up some of the pieces to get them fitting nicely (mainly the legs which are a little long at the moment), then sort out some straps and joints for fixing the legs and arms. After, it's paint time - going to seal with PVA then use automotive spray cans to get the classic red & gold

Asides from that, I need to finish the gloves, arc reactor, hand repulsors and work out a neck seal - possibly just make this from red fabric and draw on the armour pieces with a sharpie...

Feel like I'm ahead of schedule at the moment, so feeling quite satisfied with progress :) ...

Thanks bitbull :thumbsup

Got some 20mm plastic binding posts (chicago screws) from eBay and got to work on the knee and elbow joints. Also hinged the shoes (but forgot to take pics of these...). Also used 0.75mm plasticard to strengthen the foam and stop it from tearing under stress...

20mm plastic binding screws
P1000790_zpsk8l1obbm.jpg

Knee joints
P1000784_zpsthwzqlln.jpg

P1000786_zps4jvwfz9i.jpg

Elbow joints
P1000789_zpshm2d1n8p.jpg

P1000787_zpsicbaxdpn.jpg

Tomorrow will move on to working out the straps and webbing required to actually wear the armour and then we're getting ever closer to painting :)

Awesome.Don't forget a zentai suit/morph for underneath,or you would want to add 'inner-knee/elbow' pieces in the gaps.

Quick update - been working on the repulsor gloves again... Soldered 4 blue LEDs together and used an old Christmas decoration switch to power these up - will run the wires into the forearms and have some male / female connectors for ease of removal.... Fingers are WIP, i'm using an old glove with a cardboard former to size this up - will try it out shortly though on my boys hand - make final adjustments, then glue together...

P1000794_zpshkcqr27k.jpg

P1000793_zps1wqyzlho.jpg

Lights on...
P1000795_zpsyvxxcpdl.jpg

It's a really cheap pair of fingerless cycling gloves bought from a UK Poundland store - they have some padding on the palms that help to shape the outer gloves nicely on my lads small hands... They have a mesh / I'll get some photos of them and post here. Sill need to figure what to do under the finger armour though :wacko

Struggled to get time in on the build, but I did spend a few hours this weekend laying down a first layer of paint. Went for the cheapest option and used Rust-Oleum Universal All Surface Cardinal Red Gloss using foam brushes - looking a little patchy in places, but that will even out with a second coat (possibly 3rd needed as well...) Gold yet to be done (obviously), will be using Rust-Oleum Gold Painters Touch.

P1000802_zps4a3uyi8n.jpg

P1000801_zpsc8jsm8hf.jpg

P1000807_zpsdu8lvcg7.jpg

P1000803_zpskubwtomy.jpg

P1000804_zpsxxjwoq8r.jpg

P1000805_zpskxgi1mzh.jpg

P1000806_zpsudpsvcdx.jpg

Still need to paint the helmet and finish the gloves... Clock is ticking...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back