How to with paper/cardboard

gedmac66

Sr Member
Can someone please advise what treatment/procedures to use re ; card - cardboard , in priming and painting when ' scratching ' parts & components for a project using said material ?
Thankyou in advance , Ged .

You might have better luck in trying the "Replica Paper Props" or "General Modeling" areas of this site, unless this is a commercial kit that is based on Studio Sale Models.

TazMan2000

G'day TazMan2000 , I'm actually in the process of building the Deagostini MF . Apologies if I posted my question in the wrong area . It's just that I've seen some amazing scratch-built models and super detailing additions , using card and cardboard ( within this forum) , that I thought I could incorporate some of the flexibility this material affords into my falcon build .
Only problem being , I've never used it for this purpose before i.e with plastic parts making 3-D objects .

Cheers Ged .

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day @TazMan2000 , I'm actually in the process of building the Deagostini MF . Apologies if I posted my question in the wrong area . It's just that I've seen some amazing scratch-built models and super detailing additions , using card and cardboard ( within this forum) , that I thought I could incorporate some of the flexibility this material affords into my falcon build .
Only problem being , I've never used it for this purpose before i.e with plastic parts making 3-D objects .

Cheers Ged .

I guess you're not in the wrong area, considering you're working on the Deag MF. However, the postings in the paper modelling section may offer better solutions. Paper would be a good idea for some that want to model the interior using something other than plastic or photoetch brass. Myself, I've used it on some bases for figure displays, and I think it worked out pretty good. The only problem is printed raised surfaces don't look as good as having actually having raised surfaces.

TazMan2000

Thanks TazMan2000 . Where is the paper modelling section site ? I've checked the ' models ' and ' home ' areas ( at the top of this page ) but can't seem to find it !?
Should I re-post my question in the ' general modelling ' site ?
All I really wanted help with was what type of finish/coating should be applied on card/board ( if any ) before I can prime it to paint . I was hoping to scratch some of the containers found in the falcons hold area ( and if successful ) , other components as well .

Cheers Ged .

gedmac66

Costumes and Props > Replica Paper Props.

****Edit**** Screw that. That is mostly free paper props there and not much advice. Sorry to direct you there. Perhaps some other paper modellers who read this may give you better advice.

TazMan2000

Hey TazMan2000 , 'skay . Really appreciate your advice and help in trying to get ' advice and help ' ! . :)
Guess I'll just experiment . Maybe apply a thin coat of PVA on the card parts/pieces ( for strength and hopefully - protection against deterioration ) , after assembling and before priming and painting . Wish I knew more on how to and best practice !
Cheers Ged

Hey gang , isn't there anyone here who've used card/board to ' scratch ' pieces/parts for components in ' plastic ' builds before ? .
I've also posted on the ' paper ' site here , but still no response there . Could someone just tell me if adding a thin coating of PVA ( wood glue ) will help with a- strengthening , and b- prevents deterioration of said materials ? Also , in doing so , help in priming and painting .

Cheers , Ged .

Hey Ged, I have never scratch built using card/board, always used styrene sheets. If you can, try Long Life self shining floor polish not sure about strength but it should seal and help with painting, been using it for years and shoots out the airbrush great (but needs a real good clean afterwards). You can get it from Bunnings.

Long Life Self Shining Floor Polish

G'day vj mojo , yeah I've been using various thicknesses of styrene sheets as well , but I've also seen some incredible builds by modellers using a variety of materials including card/board . So I thought I'd try to learn more about ' how to ' before attempting it .
Thanks for the info the floor polish . Is this an Aussie version of that ' pledge / future ' stuff that some other builders talk about ?
Cheers Ged .

Not one to redirect out of the RPF but a vast knowledge base exists at the Papermodelers & Zealot paper modeling forums. Join up there, read and post for help, good bunch there too!

Regards, Robert

G'day rbeach84 , yeah tried posting my question on the paper ' modelling ' site on this forum ( ignored TazMan2000 's advice ) . But it was moved/cancelled .
Guess that's why it's over here now . I've gotten some help and good advice , and referrals to some brilliant users of this medium . Just gotta put in the experimentation and practice .

Thanks to all for replying and offering help / advice .
Cheers Ged :thumbsup

G'day @rbeach84 , yeah tried posting my question on the paper ' modelling ' site on this forum ( ignored TazMan2000 's advice ) . But it was moved/cancelled .
Guess that's why it's over here now . I've gotten some help and good advice , and referrals to some brilliant users of this medium . Just gotta put in the experimentation and practice .

Thanks to all for replying and offering help / advice .
Cheers Ged :thumbsup

Meant to say you try the dedicated paper modeling forums 'papermodelers.com' and 'zealot.com' (actually, Zealot is a cross genre site but heavy on paper modeling...)

Best! Robert

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back