Finishing Adil V2

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Hey Folks!

I picked up a helmet from Adil, the Adil V2 as it is known during his Christmas sale and I got it pretty much finished up today.
I removed the flashing, re-carved essentially every line in the helmet, and got it ready for paint. I also had to do some reshaping.
The basic painting process was flat black, Satin black spattered, and then the chrome. Simple.. well, I skipped a few steps, but simple.. ;) The chrome I used is Molotow Liquid Chrome.

Here is the (almost) finished piece. I literally just sprayed the chrome so I have to do the weathering on the upper bands a little later.
0824823E-6A86-420A-8141-3DEE49B141ED.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Finishing Adil V2, and Buyer Beware review

I like the paint up!

Any tips? (I see you do prop painting, so no worries if you don't wanna give the game away)

Thank you.

I'm afraid you'll have to be a little more specific in regards to tips, but if you have something specific you'd like to know I'd be happy to help.

I like the paint up!

Any tips? (I see you do prop painting, so no worries if you don't wanna give the game away)

Thank you.

I'm afraid you'll have to be a little more specific in regards to tips, but if you have something specific you'd like to know I'd be happy to help.

I'm working on a black series, and when it comes to painting, I've seen a lot that look too shiny, or too smooth. Your texture and finish look great.

Just curious what you did for the black paint... type... if you uses a texture under, or if that was just the texture of the casting...

The casting was smooth, at least when I was done fixing all the flaws it was. I am not sure that you can do what I did over a BS helmet unless it's smoothed out. The natural texture they have is really counter productive.

The texture is done exactly how I was told they did it for the film.. taking a can of black paint and sort of half spraying it from far away so sputters on. I found one of those trigger attachments they sell for rattle cans gave more precise control. So do a black base coat as normal, then do a pass of texture, let it cure, do another pass, let it cure. Total, you'd probably do four or five passes of texture. When it first hits the helmet it will look heavier than it actually is. As it dries the solvents flash and it flattens out.

Hope all this helps!

I'm working on a black series, and when it comes to painting, I've seen a lot that look too shiny, or too smooth. Your texture and finish look great.

Just curious what you did for the black paint... type... if you uses a texture under, or if that was just the texture of the casting...

A few more quick finished photos. I weathered the bands a bit more heavily than I needed to I think, but other than that I am really happy! I have a few improvements I can make on helmets following this one, but here it is!

IMG_7584.JPGIMG_7592.JPGIMG_7594.JPGIMG_7597.JPG

The casting was smooth, at least when I was done fixing all the flaws it was. I am not sure that you can do what I did over a BS helmet unless it's smoothed out. The natural texture they have is really counter productive.

The texture is done exactly how I was told they did it for the film.. taking a can of black paint and sort of half spraying it from far away so sputters on. I found one of those trigger attachments they sell for rattle cans gave more precise control. So do a black base coat as normal, then do a pass of texture, let it cure, do another pass, let it cure. Total, you'd probably do four or five passes of texture. When it first hits the helmet it will look heavier than it actually is. As it dries the solvents flash and it flattens out.

Hope all this helps!

Verymuch! Thanks!

@ Mr Mold Maker thank you for sharing. I also have the Adil V2 helmet and being a beginner in all these im doing as much research as i can before i start on the helmet. so i was thinking of using spaz sticx for the chrome part but before that i used Adil's polish he uses to shine and smooth out the chrome grooves on the helmet. what i learned is I should smooth out the chrome area paint with super glossy black and let dry and apply Spaz stix on it. what is your thought on that process on the chrome part?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back