Bandai A-Wing piloted by Jann Tosh

Thanks for commenting, astroboy. I did remove a couple of details from the cockpit side walls to give his upper arms a bit of wiggle room but that's pretty much it. The only other change was to remove the snap-fit peg on the seat that holds the original pilot in place. After that Jann Tosh fit like a glove.

I got this kit on order. A-WING is small, wish they would do this in 1/48th. I like the Death Star tile and tower that comes with the kit!

So awesome! Gotta love a pilot who flies a spaceship rocking the 70's vest-no-shirt look! This is what would happen if the Coen Brothers directed a Star Wars movie! :lol

It's amazing to see how much cooler this is with a pilot in scale with the studio scale model

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing, Astro. I'll have to try to scrounge up a 1/48 pilot when I get around to doing mine.
This model looks exactly like that awesome pic in "the lucasfilm archives" book

Is there an extra snowspeeder pilot in the bandai kit?

I have it but I haven't cracked the box. I believe they are basically the same as x-wing pilots, right?

Btw,

Is there any consensus on a Tamiya colour for the red on these birds?

I'll probably stick with insignia white for the base

I've been building one of these myself and I've found that using an undercoat of Tamiya flat black XF-1 and building up many thin layers of Tamiya Flat red XF-7 I was able to perfectly match the color of the plastic.

The larger piece at the top is the unpainted back side of a red part, the bottom smaller part is the painted side before any weathering.

paint.png

Btw,

Is there any consensus on a Tamiya colour for the red on these birds?

I'll probably stick with insignia white for the base

I've been building one of these myself and I've found that using an undercoat of Tamiya flat black XF-1 and building up many thin layers of Tamiya Flat red XF-7 I was able to perfectly match the color of the plastic.

The larger piece at the top is the unpainted back side of a red part, the bottom smaller part is the painted side before any weathering.

View attachment 704291
Thanks! Looks great

Excellent finish on it weathering wise. I sure does look more like the studio model with the large pilot

It's a shame the scaling for this ship got so skewed by the inconsistencies in the filming models and interior sets.

wow! that is FANTASTIC!!!!! Everything you did is beautiful, and the work on the pilot is really excellent - Especially given the size!

B&B, what is the overall length of your model? I'm neck deep in a MPC A-Wing build and think it looks like 1/48 scale (at 6" long), so would like to compare between it and the Bandai kit.

Thanks!

Regards, Robert

B&B, what is the overall length of your model? I'm neck deep in a MPC A-Wing build and think it looks like 1/48 scale (at 6" long), so would like to compare between it and the Bandai kit.

Thanks!

Regards, Robert

Hi Robert. I get 5 and 1/4 inches for the Bandai kit, give or take. I'm sure that a 1:48 pilot will fit into the MPC kit with little or no problem. Take a look at the link below to see how good the old kit can look with a bit of work and a larger pilot:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/rm_awing.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Robert. I get 5 and 1/4 inches for the Bandai kit, give or take. I'm sure that a 1:48 pilot will fit into the MPC kit with little or no problem. Take a look at the link below to see how good the old kit can look with a bit of work and a larger pilot:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/rm_awing.htm

Aye, I thoroughly enjoyed Rafe's build when I was researching for this project. I've built the MPC kit a couple of times before over the years but now I have some great images that folks have shared of the filming model, taken during the SW 'road shows' that show just how accurate the MPC kit's detailing is - it is obvious the pattern makers had access to the original at some point. But because it was done pre-CAD days and a snap-tite to boot, the smaller parts detailing is pretty soft. But with TLC, it can build up into an excellent replica. I am engraving the panel lines & drilling the "rivets" like the original (and which are generally spot on except for the diagonals that wrap around the sides - the top set is correct so the bottom half needs correcting to match.) One challenge is cleaning up the doubled F-16 intake 'exhaust ports' in the rear panel between the engines. I found a couple of small-mouth F-16 intakes in 1/48 scale (especially the early Tamiya kit) would work great, but I ended up thinning out the overly thick MPC parts, then putting a vertical plug to widen the assembly. I recycled the 'wheel' part in the duct (took two to repair the 'cut out' wounds for one good "wheel") and turned it down using my Dremel & speed control as a lathe. The results are petite and delicate and an excellent match to the original parts.

Also, over the weekend I found a useful source of parts in some Bandai 'gundam' detailing parts sets which includes "vernier rocket" parts (basically, detailed nozzles and interior parts) that could be applied to good, if not entirely faithful-to-the-original, effect.

So, with a 5.25 inch length, the Bandai kit's scaling is a bit of a 'swag' (shaggy wild-arse guess) but likely not 1/72, if we go by the size of the actors in the cockpit set (which has the bulkhead clearly visible.) I realize the size of the pilot figure in the studio model was oversized by comparison (in fact, another builder called the MPC kit 1/32 scale based on the pilot he put in the cockpit - to match the 'big head' figure in the original!) Since I build to 1/48 scale, I took the benefit of the doubt and also christened it 1/48 as Rafe' did. Really is too bad Bandai didn't just go on and make the A-Wing a 1/48 scale kit - they practically did so anyway, didn't they?! Looks like you had fun with it, in any case...

Kind regards, Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an impressive amount of upgrades, Robert. I don't recall seeing a W.I.P. thread. Will you be posting pictures when it's completed? Are you going to represent the look of the studio model pilot or the live action costume?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back