Cutting foam core

gocherhaz

Hello, I am making a foam core/ card model of the Great Hall from Hogwarts, Harry Potter. I am struggling with cutting small areas of 5mm foam board. I'm trying to cut 5mm squares out of 5mm foam core but keeps ganging up and its not neat enough. I don't know where I'm going wrong. PLEASE HELP!?

Thank you

Foam core is tricky at such small sizes as it wants to crush and or tear. Try making numerous shallow cuts with a sharp blade and see what if that gets better.

On the other hand, if you're making 5mm cubes out of foam core, my first thought would be get a different material.

--Alex

Fon Davis has a great video on foam core construction.

My guess is you need to angle your blade closer to your work to get the full cutting edge. If you plunge straight down and drag you aren't slicing as efficiently.

also, don't try to get through it in one pass, light pressure with a new blade and it should part cleanly in a couple passes. But be warned, foam core eats blades and quickly too. After a few cuts you should get a feel for how many cuts you can get out of a new blade before it dulls out and starts snagging.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back