And yet another....Niart's Zvezda Star Destroyer WIP

I totally agree. It's the philosophy I have been following on my build. I take elements from both, as well as from other clues in the Star Wars universe and use what I find interesting or cool looking. For instance the forward hangar room on the left. On the ANH model it's entrance is rectangular. But if you watch Force Awakens as well as other episodes, most Empire hangar doors have angled edges like the garbage chute, so my Tie fighter hangar has that type entrance with the pez dispenser ramp. I think it's a very cool concept. Also, most interiors are black on Empire ships but I don't know I'll paint mine that way. Too hard to see then.

Bill

I just ordered my hangar bay from Shapeways. Hope to have it soon to check out the install process. Should slide in pretty easily once the kit bay is removed and the edges sanded down.

What do you guys think? I got most of the details I could make out. It's a combination of Star Destroyers. I think it will make the model just that much better.

hangar%20parts%20assembly_zpsfxnyft4t.jpg

hangar%20parts%20assembly%203_zpscjbw34z4.jpg

hangar%20parts%20assembly%202_zpsjnqdv0lj.jpg

Bill

I hope that the kit's crane, for sure the arms , will work ok because it's too fine to print I imagine. If the body of the crane won't work I may add it as well though. I'll check it all out when I get the print.

Bill

Looking at the pics of the movie model, it appears to me that the large wall below the curved control room area was intended to be a really large hangar door, and thought about having it slid open and get the Tantive to have actually inside the ship. Instead of hanging from the crane. But figured that was too far...and not really viewable.

Bill

That is superb! I wish I had not gotten started on adding detail to the existing hangar bay. I spent the last 2 days carving up parts to provide the 'teeth' around the lip of the bay as in the ANH model, but not as steep. It's a hybrid between the Avenger and Devastator. Even the 3" Bandai vehicle model SDII showcases a raised area around the lip of the bay. Ive invested enough time on this that I may just continue to finish what I began and perhaps upgrade another build with your bay if Shapeways ends up carrying it. I got your domes, and they are awesome.

IMAG2316.jpgIMAG2317.jpgIMAG2312.jpg

Last edited:
My deflector domes got here today ...gorgeous. No surprise. Now I await the next installment of Shapeways goodness.

Anyone up for an episode of Bay Watch????!!

;)

Yup. I ordered the chute. Given all the additional work I've already done on just the hangar bays and what I want to do with the trenches and superstructure - one less modification to carve out of styrene - the better.

Because I was already deep into making mods on the main hangar bay - I decided to keep working on those instead of ordering this bay. But if I ever do another one of these, I will likely get all the aftermarket parts offered.

The ANH ship has these sort of small cylindrical radar dish objects located just forward of the main docking bay. These don't seem present in the 8 footer. Anyone know what kit parts may have been used to make those? Thanks!

I was curious about what those were made from myself. I don't know the diameter but they look like they could possibly be mag wheels off of a car model perhaps? It's a very interesting shape to be sure.

Bill

Rumor has it that the pair of parabolic dishes may either be tractor beam emitters or scanners of some sort.

From theforce.net:

"Two distinctive pieces of apparatus are mounted near the corners of the forward end of the primary docking bay. Each is about forty metres across and bears what seems like a small parabolic dish about twenty metres in diameter. Situation in such close proximity to both of the major bays suggests that these structures perform a vital function related to the control of bay traffic. The dish shape is suggestive of powerful scanners, which would be an asset to flight control. On the other hand, the objects may be the most powerful and externally prominent of the vessel's tractor beam projectors. Essential Guide to Weapons & Technology hints that tractor beam projectors are at least one of the components of these features. If so then they cannot be the only tractor beam projectors on the ship, because they lack line-of-sight to much of the interior of the primary bay, and virtually all of the interior of the secondary bay. This includes all of the known hangars entrances. This coverage is inadequate because we already know that TIE starfighters must be guided into a hangar by a dedicated tractor beam. The nature of the two dishes near the docking bays remains open to debate."

Awesome! Thanks. I doubt this will print, but it was fun modeling it.

tractor%20beam%20dish_zps2ukzgke4.jpg

I still can't visualize what that dish part would be on a Panther tank. Were there engine parts or something in that kit? I know they didn't have Chrome mag wheels. LOL

Bill

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back