And yet another....Niart's Zvezda Star Destroyer WIP

Hey everyone, if anyone is still interested, I have updated the shield generator set to be a little bit sturdier and they are now ready for ordering. Here is a link to the new set.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DZJALELVT/shield-generator-set-z-s-sd?optionId=62241586

I'm very sorry for any problems anyone may have had with the older set. I knew they were close to the edge on limits, but since I had the green light I figured it was good to go.

I hope to have more progress on this soon. I ordered my fiber optics so should have them in soon and I'm playing around with a new hangar bay. Trying to figure out a way to possibly make it removable as a battery pack cover. hmm.....

Bill

Last edited:
I got tired of waiting on Bandai and didn't want to pass up on a version that with a little love and ingenuity will become the epitome of anything I've ever built before. I could not afford an Aningrand or RC - and I do not have any experience working with resin - plus the scale had to be less than 28" for me to have room for it.

The Zvezda nailed it for me.

But if by some miracle Bandai announces a large ISD II - I will definitely be looking into getting one.

I could not afford an Aningrand or RC - and I do not have any experience working with resin - plus the scale had to be less than 28" for me to have room for it..
You know, while the size and greeblie details are of course gorgeous on both kits, but for the bridge module, I actually think the Zvezda has better overall hull proportions and angles than either of them.

I just cleaned my desk area and had to move my partially completed Ani, boy, the whole shape just seems off now.

Well, my understanding is that the Anigrand is based on fractalsponge's 3DS file, which I think in turn was based on the really, really, really-really-really bad official plan drawings. I mean, his model is absolutely gorgeous, so the Anigrand builds up to a spectacular looking ship, but yeah...just....slightly off. The RC, if I understand his methodology, is made to have the right feeling but the details and specifics are pretty much made up to make himself happy, not match anything rivet for rivet. The Big Z, while it over simplifies some things, and I think was very likely based on a digital model that used some procedural greebling (pretty much everything is a rectangular box), and you know, has a little bit of weirdness on the height of the wedding cake layers and the oversized, incorrectly pitched bridge, just has...the LOOK to my eye. So happy to be jumping back into my build tonight now that I can start drilling holes!!!

I just started on my Z the other day. Began with the forward small ventral hangar bay and added a recessed bay and control room that will be lit. I'll start on the main hangar bay tomorrow and plan on increasing the trench size by .060. Purchased a bunch of photo etch for small greebie details and a lot of scrap styrene. I'm saving up for the cost in Filament, LEDs and other lighting stuff for later - but after all these invaluable WIPs I have a lot of great reference material to make this kit really become the epitome of what I have always wanted in terms of an accurate Star Destroyer I could afford and have room for.

Not a lot to show but I started laying out the main parts of hangar bay. My ideal plan is to have this along with the raised lip area around the perimeter as a removable section to house the battery box above the hangar. It's totally doable but requires really precise measurements of the angles of the bottom hull from not only side to side but from front to back. I think I can do it but if not It can always just be glued in and filled to fit and I can jump to plan B...or is that D or...E....oh well whatever. It's worth a shot. This is designed with holes above the scallops at the top to accommodate LEDs. It will be a combination of details from the new hope bay as well as the ESB bay from the models I've seen pics of. BTW, this is shown without any angle cuts so it appears really deep. The only area this deep will be the very center.

hangar_zpsoxl7aajv.jpg

Bill

Last edited:
Hey Bill, that looks great! I do think the Zvezda's hangar bay should be a little deeper. Not sure if the Shapeways' Tantive IV will fit completely inside while being held by the hangar's claw. Also the raised lip needs to be raised more as you've mentioned. The way it is now in the kit is very thin.

Got a little bit more done. I have the angles cut and I just need to print out some paper patterns to check and see if I have them right. I also put a temporary raised edge section. I need to work out all the cut out shapes and a more precise size but it helps me work out how I need to model it and get the shapes correct. There is a lot more detail I can add but I think it's coming along.

hangar2_zpsra1p0nwi.jpg

hangar_zpswt3zekf1.jpg

comments, suggestions and critiques are very welcome.

Thanks,
Bill

Hey guys, I got a bit of a paradox here and wanted to your opinions. For the lip surround there are subtle differences between the ANH and the ESB destroyers, but one main difference I noticed is the amount of support ribs inside the bay, and thus the jagged "tooth" pattern along the edge. ANH destroyer has 8 ribs and those cool piston looking shapes along the edge, but ESB only has 7 ribs and just a stacked tooth pattern. I've laid this out with only 7 ribs but am taking design clues from both models. Should I stick with the lip design of ESB, which is closest to what the kit has, or should I put the pistons and only have 7? I'm already outside of the canon box so it's free for all for the most part. What say ye?

Bill

I'd stick with the 14 - 7 on each side of those pistons. I'm actually working on the main bay now myself, and it does need a lot of love. I'm doing a hybrid of the ANH and ESB details. In comparison to the ILM Avenger Studio model, the details on the very outside lip of the main hangar bay on the Zvezda is nearly flat. I'm intending to add some 1/16" angled shaped styrene for those 'pistons' at the end of those 14 extruded lines that surround the outside lip of the main bay.

hanger-tantive.jpg

jl_stardest_0183.jpg

I'm very intrigued by this latest addition of 3D detail on the hangar bay. I already ordered your domes, and I'm debating about waiting to see what this is like finished before I go berserk on my hangar. What I like most about this design you did is the open holes above the ledges to allow light into the bay. On the Zvezda I will need to drill holes or carve slats in those concave shapes on the ceiling. Plus the detailing on the bay control rooms is very non existent on the kit.

Do you have images for comparison?

Yes sir. Hope I'm not violating any rules, these are pics from members here, sorry I can't recall the sources names.

This is the ANH version with the "pistons" along the edge. There are actually 8 of these as you can see in the pic that INVAR posted.

KG_AVENGER_STUDIO_MODEL-001_zpsv4yswtyk.jpg

You can see how much plainer the ESB hangar edge is. Just doesn't have the visual interest as the original.

1149_SWO_5545_zpsfefjxhe4.jpg

I think I prefer the one from ANH as well. The edge is what most people visualise I think since it was so prominent in the opening scene. So I'll do that but with only 7 instead of 8.

One of the things about fantasy starship builds, is that unless one is reproducing verbatim the ILM Devastator or Avenger models - we have some freedom in terms of fittings and variations on whatever Kuat Drive Yards customized into each ship in terms of personalization that the Governors, Admirals and Captains asked for in their capitol ships.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back