And yet another....Niart's Zvezda Star Destroyer WIP

Now there's a thought. I'll have to check my own greeble stash. Looks neat!

I'm pretty sure I will want to go with your alternative shield generators. I suspect that it's just a matter of widening the antennae bases to make them more robust. What do you think? And the beauty of that is it would be very easy to do in SolidWorks. It's been a while since I fired up that particular tool, but I can already see the solution in my mind. What there is of my mind, that is... =)

Here's an excellent site for the FO...

http://thefiberopticstore.com/

They have many different sizes and lengths to choose from. Just remember it's better to have too much FO than run out before you're done... oh and also once you've done one kit with it I think it gets addictive, hehe. You'll want to do the rest from now on with lights!

I do have a small update. I've been busy-ing up the rear engine area. That's one area that is really really greeblied out on the the real deal so I want to somewhat represent that complexity of the studio prop. Here are a few shots showing the beginnings of that work. Some parts are kit-bashed (in the spirit of the original modelers) and some are just bits and pieces of styrene rod and strips.

Hey Bill THANKS for sharing those WIPs!! My FAVORITE part of building starships is always adding the extra greeblies that the commercial styrene kits are not able to include. Those rear engine section mods are the bomb! I'm also going to order your set of globes because I do not think I can mod the existing ones to any degree of accuracy at all.

Now there's a thought. I'll have to check my own greeble stash. Looks neat!

I'm pretty sure I will want to go with your alternative shield generators. I suspect that it's just a matter of widening the antennae bases to make them more robust. What do you think? And the beauty of that is it would be very easy to do in SolidWorks. It's been a while since I fired up that particular tool, but I can already see the solution in my mind. What there is of my mind, that is... =)

Thanks. I'll try to get the alternate versions up soon. I'm away from my program until tomorrow sometime so bear with me. I guess the best would be to taper. My only concern with Shapeways tapers is they never seem to end consistently. I'll load up a few options to see what looks best.

Thanks again for the interest.
Bill

No worries, Bill. I have a feeling it will be a while before I actually need the domes. Much drilling to do, yes, much drilling. I'm going to learn to love my little drill press. :)

My only concern with Shapeways tapers is they never seem to end consistently. I'll load up a few options to see what looks best.

Since I have never used anything from Shapeways or modeled a part from a 3D printer, for affixing the domes to the kit, what is the best glue you recommend? Superglue or Thin cement ala Testers or Tamiya?

Typical model glue will not work so you'll need a CA "superglue".or I've seen some people use a stronger white glue like Gator glue with good results.

Another thing is you'll want to clean the parts really well. For FUD or FED, I like to let them soak in a mild dish washing liquid and water solution and then mildly dry them off to remove the cleaning oils they use to remove the support wax. Some time I'll have to pour detergent directly on a part and hand wash gently for more stubborn oil build up. Once it's clean most paints have no problems sticking, but I find Tamiya primers work really well. From there it's just like any other part painting.

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on washing the parts. I tend to do that with styrene kits, but did not know what kind of plastic is being used to print the parts from Shapeways and if that might cause issues or not. I actually planned to prime the whole thing in Tamiya primer, so that's good to know.

NiArt - One thing you should do with your shield generators, rotate one so that they are both oriented in the same direction. Otherwise they will print differently... One will be a "shadow" print of the other... which results in more layer visibility because of the support structure.

Bill - Have you modified the domes? It seems to me that you've got some sort of stepped taper going, and I don't remember them costing $16.33 - I thought it was more. Also - what do you think of sapguy's suggestion?

I assembled my Tamiya drill tonight. Makes an angry little growl, doesn't it?!

Bill - Have you modified the domes? It seems to me that you've got some sort of stepped taper going, and I don't remember them costing $16.33 - I thought it was more. Also - what do you think of sapguy's suggestion?

I assembled my Tamiya drill tonight. Makes an angry little growl, doesn't it?!

Hi Steve. I have done the modification on them to make the antenna larger but I'm waiting to hear back from Shapeways. I received a confusing notification about the printing of the other set that also contains these parts but from what I can tell, these would be the only parts that might have any print issues. But the models of them have apparently been printing fine without issue. I just want to confirm what might be the issue before I submit a modified version to offer. I'd hate to put it up only to find that there is an issue I'm not seeing. Sorry for the delay. Hope to hear from them soon.

Bill

No worries and no rush. I've been ogling my ZSD eagerly and getting my work bench fully configured for the build. Lining up the ducks!

Niart - I just checked into Shapeways to buy your shield generator domes and it says on the page that they are 'Not For Sale'.

Did they pull your upgrades?

Hi INVAR. Sorry, I'm waiting to hear back from their tech guy. There was an issue printing, even though they gave me a green light on mine, as well as several others that had some printed. I've changed the model but they somehow they can't seem to make it eligible for sale until the tech does whatever his thing is to check it. I'll hit them up again to see what the hold up is. I'm really really sorry. Pretty frustrating. I've never had issues like this for any of my shuttle or other parts.

Bill

Niart any chance you will desing a new bridge face así you mentioned?

Hi joscasle. I'm sorry I wasn't ignoring your question. At least not on purpose. I haven't checked my thread in a while. I don't know if I'll ever get to the bridge face. I wish I had the time but right now I got a lot on my plate besides model building as well. Hoping to buy a new house, sell a house yada yada...

If I get it I will post something on it.

Bill

Hi joscasle. I'm sorry I wasn't ignoring your question. At least not on purpose. I haven't checked my thread in a while. I don't know if I'll ever get to the bridge face. I wish I had the time but right now I got a lot on my plate besides model building as well. Hoping to buy a new house, sell a house yada yada...

If I get it I will post something on it.

Bill

Thanks!! Maybe for my second build

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back