Achromatic Grandpa (and Herman now).

ausf

I wanted to get serious about figure painting, so I grabbed some Moebius kits.

First up was Grandpa, I wanted to stay true to the show, so I decided to go black and white and recreate the stage makeup as well.

Just getting started, a lot of touchups to be done, but would appreciate any critiques or advice.

gm1.jpggm2.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Achromatic Grandpa.

I'd suggest that his lapels may be too glossy. But elsewise I think you've done an outstanding job! The face captures the look of the old make-up perfectly.

--Alex

Thanks guys.

I full agree with the lapels. I normally AB Future so I can control the sheen, but hand brushed this and it got thick, fast.

I plan on knocking it down a bit with either Vallejo Satin or more Future with X-22. Gloves as well, but I need to bring out more of the leather look anyway. I'l do the touchups when I hit the base.

Herman is up next.

I'd suggest that his lapels may be too glossy. But elsewise I think you've done an outstanding job! The face captures the look of the old make-up perfectly.

--Alex
I agree. I've seen a number of these built up, and your paint work on Grandpa's face is without a doubt the best I've seen. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the base.

This is fantastic! the B/W adds a lot to the atmosphere. The pictures look like stills from the show. Getting the "shades of grey" right can be a challenge (AND YES, I'M REFERRING TO THE COLOURS ;) ). :)

Thanks guys, you are way too kind.

I'm a sculptor, not a figure painter so this is newish to me. I usually only paint a figure to check the test cast before production.

At first I wasn't impressed with the kit, it's very light on detail but pretty much on par for styrene (although Moebius' Bride kit raised that bar) but once I started painting it, I appreciated it a lot more. It does paint nicely.

I built the kit when it was first released (Herman too), but never painted it because I wanted to do it in greyscale and thought it would be way over my head. I finally just went for it and honestly, it was a lot easier than I thought. Just three blobs on a palette: Vallejo White, Black and Airbrush Flow Improver. Mix, lather, repeat.

Beside some seam filling, the only alteration was building up the corneal bulges with Krystal Klear since Al Lewis' iris are so dark, there was no detail to work with. Fred Gwynne at least has light irises, so I can try some eye painting.

This proves that a professional paintjob can save a simplistic sculpt. I'm looking forward to seeing Herman. :)

Hi! I'm just a modeling newbie who tries his best building star wars kits and stalks this forum admiring all the amazing work. I had to drop in and comment, amazing work. You are incredibly talented and these are wonderful, thanks for sharing.

Excellent job on these! I really like the black and white look. I've never seen that done before on these kits. I always thought the characters looked strange when I saw color pictures or one of the Musters movies in color.

Outstanding job! Those really look like Al Lewis and Fred Gwynne. Their painted heads look so darn real. Love the weathering to Herman's table and grandpa's equipment cabinet.

Looks excellent. This one of the things that I don't dare do because it requires compensating for the colour in black and white, which is really difficult.

Nice work! You really captured their expressions well.

I'll admit, the thread title had me confused, so I had to check it out. It kept triggering memories of "The Love-matic Grandpa" from the Simpson's spin-off episode.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back