Star Destroyer by Zvezda: in my workbench

Amazing thread. Learning a lot from your build which will be handy whenever I get my SD. How many leds are you using inside the hull to light all the FO if you don't mind me asking? Are you using mostly 0.5mm FO for the trenches & bridge? I've got a whole lot of 0.5mm drill bits & 5mm leds from another project, & also thinking anything bigger (0.75) might look too big, so hopefully I can make good use of these.

The engines are looking superb too!

Thanks for looking and commenting! :thumbsup Yes Im using 0.5mm fibers. Since this is my first FO project I dont know how many LEDs I will end up using. Im planning on adding a few red points of light here and there also so some red LEDS will be used too. The 0.75mm FO wiould be too big IMO too.

Im getting cross eyed....

Well have lower half of ship "fibered", if thats a term! I went with the cool white color for the bay to give a different look and I believe it works. Of course you may offer your views on it!

20170209_194810 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20170209_194837 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

It looks like am making a freaking bomb when its seen from afar!

20170209_182215 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

...and when looking it at close inspection!

20170209_193704 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Of course lighting it up dont help either! LOL!

20170209_194655 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Thoughts? Comments?Insults? Let me know!

Last edited:
We can't see the larger version of your images since they are private on Flickr. Looks very scary. Like the use of the cool blue lights in the bay!

We can't see the larger version of your images since they are private on Flickr. Looks very scary. Like the use of the cool blue lights in the bay!

You can! Just click on the image and you can see the best version available!

OOps your right. I change them to public!

Thanks for looking and commenting! :thumbsup Yes Im using 0.5mm fibers. Since this is my first FO project I dont know how many LEDs I will end up using. Im planning on adding a few red points of light here and there also so some red LEDS will be used too. The 0.75mm FO wiould be too big IMO too.

In the behind the scenes pics I've seen there seem to be some orange as well as red. It might be easier to light them all with the warm white and color some of the fiber tips with Tamiya clear colors.

That might be a good idea. I have some clear Vallejo colors that may do the trick. If not satisfied Im going to use some red LEDS. I still have a lot to do though....

I like the cooler lighting of the bay. Seems to give it a better sense of scale and a little more realistic feel.

Thanks Hagoth.

I finished the whole lower hull half and will tackle the upper hull levels this weekend. I tried the painting with clear red and orange Vallejo acrylics at the end point of the FO lighted with the warm white LED. It works! It needs to have a few coats to get a really red luminous point though. I compared it with FO lighted with a red LED and although both look good the one withe red LED is much more brilliant. I still have not decided which way am going with this but I am not in any hurry. I will keep the bay lights and engine lights in a separate circuit from the rest of the white warm lights. I had a light control left over from a previous MPC Falcon build that I never used. Its the same one Robiwon is using in his SD and controls light intensity. That way the engine circuit will be always the same intensity while the rest can be modulated.

Looking at some other SD online I noticed how in the pictures posted the points of light look a tad out of place but am thinking is a camera and setup issue instead of an issue with the model itself. The camera is usually quite dumb and it will expose for the multiple luminous points of light instead that on the model details. Im starting to draw some plan as to how I will photograph this model. It needs some exterior source of lights to illuminate its surface and of course the use of a DSLR in manual mode, no AUTO anything.

Some pics of how it looks now:

20170210_175715 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20170210_175736 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20170210_185629 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20170210_185654 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20170210_185831 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

So far Ive used 9 LEDS, 2 cool white ones and 7 warm white, in case you are counting. Any comments welcomed!

Thanks!

Ive been toying around with another project (3D printed Han Solo Blaster) but Ive managed to make some progress at the upper hull levels. Thing here is that the space is kind of limited so I need to plan ahead to see where I will place the FO and LEDs.

20170215_173852 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Hope of making some more progress this weekend.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back