3d printing help

nick007

I'm currently working on a project right now and one of the pieces has a complex shape that I'd like to avoid shaping out of wood. I made a rough 3d model in sketchup that I want to 3d print for the rough shape and then detail by hand, could anyone on here help me with this? I tried sculpteo and shapeways and they gave me ridiculous price ranges that exceeded 600 bucks. It's about 1"x2"x6" and not too complex. If anyone with a 3D printer would be able to help me out this, I'd be more than happy to pay whatever you would value it at. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in my 3d model?

Thanks

$600 bucks at Shapeways ? Only metal would be $600

If you can get someone here to help, that could be best.

If you want to use Shapeways, and print in plastic, I can help. Take a picture of your Shapeways page after uploading the file.

It will look like this :

Untitled-1.jpg

I was just messing with my model and I realized I messed up monumentally, I feel like a complete *******. I forgot to scale it down to the size that I needed. I have fixed it, it is now saying 170, but I still feel like that's a lot. Here's a screenshot:body.JPG

It's probably material cost as that looks like a big, solid piece. If you can sacrifice the durability and want the SLS "strong and flexible" plastic, hollow it out and put a couple drain holes in the part per Shapeway's modeling guidlines - the price will drop significantly. Also the bounding box in that screenshot is nearly 3 x 3 x 7, not the 1 x 2 x 6 you state earlier, maybe you have some stray shells? Or did the parameters change?

Your material volume is super high. So, it's THAT that's pushing up the price.
Your piece is really 7 x 2.6 x 2.6
The problem with printing in 3D on a HOME printer is that it has "infill". Meaning if you cut into it TOO far, you may find a honeycomb instead of solid material.

Yeah I saw the size thing, measuring from the sketchup file showed differently.

Ok, so is there a way to specify fill density? I've used a makerbot but it was many years ago and I'm totally blanking on the software that we used, but we could specify it to like 15% fill which would be more than enough. I'm looking for like 5% tops. I know that this wouldn't be strong, but I'm not looking for strong.

Yep. When printing from home, you can specify infill. So hopefully, someone here can volunteer.

Yeah I saw the size thing, measuring from the sketchup file showed differently.

Ok, so is there a way to specify fill density? I've used a makerbot but it was many years ago and I'm totally blanking on the software that we used, but we could specify it to like 15% fill which would be more than enough. I'm looking for like 5% tops. I know that this wouldn't be strong, but I'm not looking for strong.
I may be able to help. I have access to an Ultimaker 2+ for printing. PM me and we can iron out the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back