New 52 Jim Gordon's Batsuit

Sumblueguy41

hello, novice cosplayer here. I'm aiming to do the Jim Gordon's Batsuit from Batman #41 (not the mecha powersuit he uses, the black bodysuit). It seems simple for somebody like me who can just sew a few small things & not have to deal w/ armor or a cape. The thing is I don't know crap-all about body suits & the design behind them. Don't suppose any of you have an possible insight on how to approach this? cuz that'd be really awesome. But I'm looking to forego the Batarang Gun & it's holster since that'd just be another issue at a con, peacebonding & all, & use a traditional Bat-Utility belt instead. Though how Jim just puts the cowl over his face like he's putting on a hood doesn't seem like it'd work in a practical sense, but what do I know? Any help towards this would be great, thx

Refs:
4DD394ED-009A-456F-82F8-F41EF53C0081-12435-0000201777F10756_tmp.jpg77B6D392-5B68-4CCA-8C1F-F942BC5FA06D-12421-00002014C46511F1_tmp.jpg580B6C6F-9CC5-474C-A92D-890E51A23146-7981-000018783DEAB0F6_tmp.jpgB0AA95AB-F460-4597-85F8-7C473525E2FB-3893-00000D62E0F852AA_tmp.jpgScreen Shot 2017-01-24 at 3.06.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-24 at 3.08.14 PM.png

You are correct: the put-on-the-cowl-like-a-hood action is comic book magic. Even big budget stuff like the CW "The Flash" uses clever editing to hide the fact that, when Barry removes his cowl, they actually have to cut and replace the piece with a different one. (In other words, you never actually see him remove his cowl.) So don't worry about that. I would just focus on finding a urethane rubber cowl that looks most similar to this design.

As for the body suit, that's a bit more complicated. Designing something like this requires using Photoshop to create an extremely large image of a flattened body suit pattern that can be printed onto spandex through a process called dye-sublimation printing. The design process is a very useful skill, but takes a lot of work and time to finesse. If I were you, and you can afford it, I would look into commissioning a suit design from one of the many designers out there. Two RPF users that come to mind are Orhadar (Gun Head Design) or Sonjou (4 Neo Designs). The printing and shipping of a life size suit usually runs close to $150, and commission prices are a fraction of that. If you are totally unfamiliar with this and are on a time constraint, commissioning the design is the way to go because you'll get something that looks great. But, if you'd rather use this project as an opportunity to teach yourself some new stuff (I love using my projects for that), then there are several design tutorials around the web for creating your own "dye sublimation pattern." Google can probably help you find 'em.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back