The BIG Star wars question

my big star wars question is, what is the point of storm trooper armor when one shot kills them?

...its a excellent documentary, when they are interviewing some of the staff at the end, they really get snappy about defending Lucas' decision on banning Prowse from everything star wars related
I would have enjoyed the documentary more if the focus had been maintained on Mr. Prowse instead of co-director Marcos Cabotá constantly inserting himself explaining why it was so important for him to make it. :rolleyes

my big star wars question is, what is the point of storm trooper armor when one shot kills them?
Im betting this is a rhetorical question...

Stormtroopers wear armor for several reasons. It offers limited protection in a vacuum (this is STAR Wars), it's an environmental suit, hides their identity, intimidation, makes them all conform (no individuality), provides tactical input, communications, and serves as a uniform.

Armor is a compromise between protection and mobility. Not much is going to stop a military-grade blaster bolt short of very heavy armor limiting mobility. In a firefight, shrapnel and flying debris can also be a real danger, so their armor offers limited protection. Much like a modern USGI Kevlar helmet can't stop a direct hit from a NATO 5.56 or something in the .30 caliber rifle range.

Good article on that comparison here:
https://www.quora.com/Military-Equipment-Are-the-helmets-that-soldiers-wear-bulletproof

dfdc2e599d003d78ba3deb72ffa37d54.jpgHow about an R rated version then.

Isn't a more important question the one about when George Lucas decided Leia was Lukes sister. If it was before Empire, then isn't the kiss in the infirmary more than a bit creepy and incestuous?

Isn't a more important question the one about when George Lucas decided Leia was Lukes sister. If it was before Empire, then isn't the kiss in the infirmary more than a bit creepy and incestuous?
I think that's a bit of a gray area since neither Luke nor Leia knew they were brother and sister at that point in the story, and neither did the audience. Besides, it's not a particularly "steamy" kiss.

I think that's a bit of a gray area since neither Luke nor Leia knew they were brother and sister at that point in the story, and neither did the audience. Besides, it's not a particularly "steamy" kiss.

Leia: I know. Somehow, I've always known.

Just like my preference that Vader was the betrayer and murderer of Skywalker, I would have liked Lucas to have not gotten lazy and kept Leia and Luke's missing sibling separate.

Read "The Making of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back".. It was in story sessions with Larry Kasdan and Irvin Kerschner. They were trying to come up with what Vader could say that would shatter Luke's world, and that's what ultimately came out. I'd have to go back and check to see which of them actually said it. I am pretty sure it was George. And it wasn't put in the script. It was probably the most closely guarded movie secret up to that time. They had a filler line in the script (one version was "Obi-Wan killed your father"). Mark was told to imagine the worst thing anyone could tell him, the gut-wrenching emotional agony of worse news than he'd ever imagined. Dave Prowse wasn't told. James Earl got a script in the recording booth with the line crossed out and was handed a note card with the actual line that George had just written on it when they got to that point...

But yeah. It was sometime in 1979. For the first film, Vader and Anakin were separate people in George's mind. Just like how, in Empire, the "other" was indeed going to turn out to be Luke's sister, but she was going to be someone we hadn't met yet, who'd be introduced in the next film. It didn't become Leia until George decided he didn't want to spend the rest of his life doing Star Wars, scrubbed the first three Obi-Wan episodes, and mushed the last four Luke films into Return of the Jedi and called it done. Part of the Star Wars meta drinking game. Any time George says in an interview he "always intended it to be X", drink.

--Jonah

Yup... During the development of the ESB script.

I maintain they're not necessarily dead, barring some more incontrovertible ones. Same as with real-world rounds getting stopped by anti-ballistic vests -- even if it doesn't penetrate, all that kinetic energy is being dissipated through the armor medium. So you'll be alive, but it'll take the wind out of your sails for a bit. In Star Wars, watch the firefights and see how long the camera stays on the downed troopers before cutting away to action elsewhere.

During story sessions for ROTJ. To quote myself upthread:

In Empire, the "other" was indeed going to turn out to be Luke's sister, but she was going to be someone we hadn't met yet, who'd be introduced in the next film. It didn't become Leia until George decided he didn't want to spend the rest of his life doing Star Wars, scrubbed the first three Obi-Wan episodes, and mushed the last four Luke films into Return of the Jedi and called it done.

One of the story session transcripts Rinzler put in Making of ROTJ is when George, Kasdan, and Marquand were sorting that very thing out.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back