Weathering/Ageing M1 Reproduction Helmet Cover?

Drac

Sr Member
Hi all, got a question for all you know how people out there. I'm getting a repro M1 helmet cover for a prop I'm doing, but as you can see by the picture it's very bright in colour. How would I go about fading it, to look more like the second pic? Any ideas greatly appreciated :)

DF074685-6A00-4B76-8FB6-418D7CE7B04F.jpg

AAF9E335-5B64-4EBF-8B03-EB1A15034600.jpg

Kind regards

P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put it on a helmet and let it sit outside for a couple of weeks. Remember to turn the helmet abit every day, so that it gets evenly exposed.

Being in Britain it would no doubt rust before any bleaching or fading would happen lol and it would be a very very long process

Try a reduced treatment of RIT color remover. Probably best to do it in a bucket of hot water. That way you can judge when it is faded enough. You can also use the washer method but it would take several treatments. It won't harm the fabric like bleach would.

After that you can try a bath in tea water to mute and dirty all the colors up a bit. Should work great!

Looked at the RIT could be a good option but I'm thinking it would have to be done very carefully :-/ any other input on this? :)

Looked at the RIT could be a good option but I'm thinking it would have to be done very carefully :-/ any other input on this? :)

The washer method is the safest as it uses the most water but you cannot see it until it comes out. That is the part I don't like. I would first try the hot water, bucket method as specified in the directions using about half the amount of dye remover. You can take it out when it starts to to dull out and rinse it right away. Given how tough military fabric is and the dyes are pretty durable too I don't think you will have too easy of a time to remove the color anyway! :p

Vinegar is supposed to have a mild bleaching effect – it is an acid.

Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizer, the 3% stuff you buy at the drug store / pharmacy / druggist(?) is supposed to have a mild bleaching effect as well.

I wouldn't leave it in either of those overnight, just in case, but they have the advantage of being dirt cheap.

-MJ

Thanks for the replies :) the cover is a repro from china so I'm unsure wether the fabric will be all that great (thickness) so it will be an experiment to see what will work on it and what won't. I can't imagine the material being the same quality as an original M1 cover :-/

Well, at least you know enough not to bleach it.
I remember years ago a bunch of guys bought HBT uniforms for their WWII reenactment outfits, then promptly bleached them to get that "combat vet" look.
They turned mauve! :lol

edit: Do you have a car? Leave your helmet in your car so it can get exposed to sunlight without getting rained on. It will probably take a good 6 months to see any appreciable change in color, but it will at least be a natural fading.

Well, at least you know enough not to bleach it.
I remember years ago a bunch of guys bought HBT uniforms for their WWII reenactment outfits, then promptly bleached them to get that "combat vet" look.
They turned mauve! :lol

edit: Do you have a car? Leave your helmet in your car so it can get exposed to sunlight without getting rained on. It will probably take a good 6 months to see any appreciable change in color, but it will at least be a natural fading.

Yeah definitely no bleach lol I do have a car but at this time of year there's no sun in Britain to be fair your lucky to get it in the summer most times lol and seeing as I'm impatient I doubt I could wait 6 months to finish it :)

I have a similar 'Nam helmet cover, and what I did to age mine is to throw it in the laundry several times and it eventually faded to the point of where I wanted it to be faded to.

I have a similar 'Nam helmet cover, and what I did to age mine is to throw it in the laundry several times and it eventually faded to the point of where I wanted it to be faded to.

Did you put it in with detergent/wash powder or just numerous runs through with water only?

I would also wash it a lot using a harsh detergent - the car/sun is a good idea as well.
After that, I would put the cover back on the helmet and take a stiff brush to it with lots of natural soap. A fairly course grained sandpaper on a block is also a good idea - but use carefully.

The reason why the helmet is vitally important is because the sharp edges create a specific kind of wear and tear that you can't get from merely washing it. The helmet edges fade lighter and there is a very specific wear you get from the wrinkles the cover forms as it sits over the top of the dome.

The secret to good weathering is to take your time and build it up in layers. Don't be in a hurry because weathering done properly (unless you are a pro) is best done carefully.

This is my naturally aged helmet and cover from when I entered service in the 70's

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

Best of luck
MARK

I would also wash it a lot using a harsh detergent - the car/sun is a good idea as well.
After that, I would put the cover back on the helmet and take a stiff brush to it with lots of natural soap. A fairly course grained sandpaper on a block is also a good idea - but use carefully.

The reason why the helmet is vitally important is because the sharp edges create a specific kind of wear and tear that you can't get from merely washing it. The helmet edges fade lighter and there is a very specific wear you get from the wrinkles the cover forms as it sits over the top of the dome.

The secret to good weathering is to take your time and build it up in layers. Don't be in a hurry because weathering done properly (unless you are a pro) is best done carefully.

This is my naturally aged helmet and cover from when I entered service in the 70's

View attachment 703375

View attachment 703376

View attachment 703377

Best of luck
MARK

Thanks for the tips I'll certainly put them into practice for this, and thanks for the pics too :)

Did you put it in with detergent/wash powder or just numerous runs through with water only?

I used regular laundry detergent with a small amount of bleach added over a half dozen washes or so.

I should also mention that after I had the cover faded to where I wanted it I put it back on the helmet and threw it
into the trunk of my car ( boot to those in the UK), and let it get knocked around for a few weeks to give it a little wear
around the rim.

Last edited:
Ok, well I've ordered the cover and it's on it's way, so I'll see which one works :)

Cover turned up today, for a cheap purchase it's surprisingly decent, the colour is no where near as vibrant thankfully, shouldn't need as much work to weather it as I thought.

Even in the pic I've taken it looks lighter than it actually is.

4026D905-0F4C-4F6F-B3F1-7303F8C3A10B.jpg

I've been looking into the techniques that have been put forward to me by you helpful lot :) I've read about the washing machine method, washing on hot setting then drying and repeat, however will it shrink or damage it? I believe it says it's cotton, sorry if that's a daft question lol :)

Came up with a possible solution which came to me while I was looking at my issued helmet, my own helmet it pretty worn and faded, so it got me thinking what I've done mostly with it in the last year. The one thing that came to mind was time spent in the gas chamber, which led me to.....fullers earth :) I realise it would wash out if I were to wash it but I think it could work as I have no plans of washing a prop, I'll get some from work and give it a try. I'll post up the results when I've experimented lol ;-)

Only decision is wether to write on it with sharpies before or after application, unsure if the fullers earth would effect the ink, as it is of course very absorbent, probably seat to do it before.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back