Plastic vs rubber ESB lightsaber grips

Why would you hold the cooling flange though? I guess you do on all the rifles but maybe thats why stormies cant hit anything because they keep burning their hands!

I will always contend that they are meant to be grips. I mean look at them!! Even on the blasters. If you look at how everyone holds an E-11 on the front, right on the grips.

Last edited:
It's been said, people who have examined the props themselves have confirmed the plastic thing. also, this. a shattered grip, dating back.

PropStorehero3.jpg

I have no doubt they were plastic, but they were always meant to be and look like grips. I just prefer the feel of the hard rubber ones from Blastech vs plastic.

Sometimes there really isn't much difference between plastic and rubber. Just variations of hardness and and a mix if polymers.

Most rubber products like this are just a softer PVC (a common plastic found in pipes and toys).

Get yourself some Blastech grips and feel them. They are not plastic by any stretch. You can bend them completely in half but they will never break and they're hard enough to grab hard on to.

T-track source?

I've been looking for t-tracks on-line, but I can't really find any source. I'd like brown tracks that I can colour black, so that wear and tear will bring out the underlying brown again. Anyone have any idea where to start looking? I mean, there's people like Blasttech that sell sets with black tracks for an OK price, but shipment from the US is ridiculously expensive for tracks that aren't exactly what I'm looking for. The Chinese seems to be able to produce anything cheaply and send it for free, but I have searched for any number of terms and not found anything remotely resembling a suitable t-profile.

Any suggestions?

The brown T-tracks came from member saberfreak but as far as I know are no longer available ... your best bet and closest source are the grips provided by wannawanga.com as soon as Roy gets back :)

Chaïm

also, Todds Costumes has track thats cheaper for those of us in the states. it also has a different profile, he talks about this on his site.

also, Todds Costumes has track thats cheaper for those of us in the states. it also has a different profile, he talks about this on his site.
I totally dig Todd's reasoning for his t track shape (taking inspiration from real world asymmetrical cabinet track). I use his track on my ANH sabers since we will probably never be able to confirm the profile of the grips from that era. ESB forward, though, definitely requires symmetrical t track imho.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I like Todd's t-tracks but, I've said it before, I prefer Roy's. Todd's are nice and affordable and, depending on your mileage, more accurate but Roy's are just a shade darker, feel more robust, and, despite being "less accurate" being symmetrical and all, I can lay my tracks in nice, even orientations on whatever it is I'm working on. I recently had to re-grip my Heiland ESB conversion with Todd's and, though doing my best to lay them evenly spaced from one another, it still looks a bit wonky because the ridges look off kilter because exactly one of the sides is shorter than the other on all of them.

There's some of Gino's grips in the junkyard now. Gino's grips, according to Gino, are the most accurate to the original that Gino has maybe seen, but no one else has, but Gino will tell you that you can trust Gino, and that Gino's grips is better than anyone else... according to Gino anyway.

I like Todd's t-tracks but, I've said it before, I prefer Roy's. Todd's are nice and affordable and, depending on your mileage, more accurate but Roy's are just a shade darker, feel more robust, and, despite being "less accurate" being symmetrical and all, I can lay my tracks in nice, even orientations on whatever it is I'm working on. I recently had to re-grip my Heiland ESB conversion with Todd's and, though doing my best to lay them evenly spaced from one another, it still looks a bit wonky because the ridges look off kilter because exactly one of the sides is shorter than the other on all of them.
Roy's grips are definitely more accurate for the track we can actually observe (ESB- era forward) and I like how he's shown all of the photo matching that he's done. I never noticed the color difference between Todd's and Roy's tracks, though *rushes to display case*

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Yeah, I recall him reverse-engineering the t-track from photos of the Ranch saber or something way back in his OT parts thread (when it was just a research thread) back when. As far as the asymmetry/symmetry debate goes, I've seen enough pics and read enough arguments to think that detail varied from track to track. On some, I think I see it; on others, I don't. It makes me think that it may have to do something with the extruded plastic and machinery of the time then.

The grips Roy produces are based on my initial sketch :

... which in turn was based on this picture of the Vader ROTJ stunt :

Gino's grips are based on his personal observation of real props and are also excellent for OT lightsabers :)

Chaïm

Last edited:
Yes, Roy's are a bit more robust, the track on the ROTJ Vader saber is a bit more robust anyways.

the track on ROTJ Fett's rifle is asymmetrical, so the ESB-onward thing isn't totally true.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back