Han Solo in Carbonite - 1/12 - 3D Print

Lecaramel

Hi,

This is a side project of my ISD : Han Solo in Carbonite. It will be around 1/12 scale (190 mm) and it will be 3D printed.

I did a quick&dirt 3D scan of the props exposed at the Star Wars Identities exhibition and I re-sculpted most of it. Then even if I did quite some work, I had the help of the rough scan.

Here is some screenshots of my 3D model. It's currently in the printer. I will try to do a diorama around with some lighting :)

carbonite_03.jpg

carbonite_04.jpg

The "computers" on the side. I'll add some lights I guess :)

carbonite_05.jpg

And the 3D scan that I used as a reference:

carbonite_06.jpg

Next step, cleaning the 3D print, some sanding and starting to work on the background.
I think I will rebuild something like that:

Review_PFHanSoloCarbonite_stillA.JPG

Attachments

• Review_PFHanSoloCarbonite_stillA.JPG
    Review_PFHanSoloCarbonite_stillA.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 922
The 3D print has been a success, no issue. The quality is pretty good even if I divided to go with the mid resolution (50 microns).

This is “Han Solo in the Liquid Resin” :) Before the IPA Alcohol bath to clean all the remaining resin. Of course, all the supports will be removed. Orientation and preparation is important as you don’t want to have them on the visible part of the model.

carbonite_09.jpg

And this is the result with a quick grey primer color pass. Not so bad for the size..

carbonite_07.jpg

The side. Yes, some controls have been inverted. Not a big deal, it was just for the photo :)

carbonite_08.jpg

Some closeup on the controls. Details are very good. It is not visible on the photo because of its size, but you can see the Philips screw heads on the corner :)
This Form2 printer just kills me :)

carbonite_11.jpg

A closeup on the side of the print. As you can see, the layers are visible, but a little bit of sanding will easily remove them, especially after using some primer. But to be honest, after the metallic grey paint layer, I don’t even think sanding will be needed, especially at this scale…

carbonite_10.jpg

Now, some sanding anyway, and I need to find the good metallic color. Some ideas of which Tamiya paint spray I could use?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back